Cat sleeps in the litter box and pee outside the litter box

angvs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I just adopted a cat, he's 5 months old, neutered. He was been taken to the vet for a check up and vaccines 4 days ago. He's been in my house for 2 days now.
He sleeps in the litter box, but everything he should do in the litter box, he does outside. The litter box is cleaned obviously, considering he never used it except for sleeping. I placed boxes with blankets next to the litter box but he still prefers to sleep there. I don't know what to do, he's not my first cat, but this is the first time I see such behaviour.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'd get him more litter boxes, put a blanket in the one he's sleeping in, and let him have that as a bed. We see that kind of behavior at the shelter fairly often.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, this happens more often then you think. The cat sees the litter box as a safe place to be. You might start by confining him to one room until he breaks this habit, giving him a box to sleep in and two boxes to go in. Put in a comfy bed too, he just might try it out. Get some puppy pee pads and see if he prefers them. He is young yet so should get over this. Take some of his poops and place them in a litter box so he can smell them. Bless you for giving him a chance!

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I just adopted a cat, he's 5 months old, neutered. He was been taken to the vet for a check up and vaccines 4 days ago. He's been in my house for 2 days now.
He sleeps in the litter box, but everything he should do in the litter box, he does outside. The litter box is cleaned obviously, considering he never used it except for sleeping. I placed boxes with blankets next to the litter box but he still prefers to sleep there. I don't know what to do, he's not my first cat, but this is the first time I see such behaviour.
Sorry I'm not helping, but I love this. A perfect case of a cat saying - hey, I'm a cat, and we'll do things my way.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve heard this can be a sign of a lack of confidence (from Jackson galaxy). He usually suggests a lot of play, making sure there is access to heights and if the box is covered taking the lid off so he finds better places to be.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he feels safest when he has sides around him so a blanketed large box might suit him as a better hideaway than his litter box. If he doesn’t use an open box try cutting a hole into another large box to see if he will move into that.

Or you can lay down puppy pads and just wait it out. As long as you know he is healthy this is just fearful new cat behavior that will change as he starts calming down.