Cat Sleeping In Loft Bed

cosmic11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
This is my first post and will not be my last! So, I have a loft bed with a sleeping surface that is about 5' 5" off the ground and I was wondering if I could sleep with my kitten (if I got one) up there. Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! That is a bit of a steep jump for a young kitten. But, you could consider setting up a temporary barrier until the kitten matures, and then replace the barrier with a cat tree that your cat could use to climb on.

There are lots of options for making a barrier of your own, from baby gates to shelving that can be easily put together to create a bigger, longer gate - depending on the distance you need to cover.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Most cats love high places. You could put something next to the bed to make intermediate step(s) until the kitten is bigger. As it is, she'll probably just try climbing up anyway. (How do you get up there?)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
(How do you get up there?)

There's most likely a ladder.

5 feet isn't terribly high but still too high for a young kitten. An older kitten closer to a year old or an adult would be ok if you provide something like a tall cat tree next to the bed for the cat to use to get up and down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cosmic11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! That is a bit of a steep jump for a young kitten. But, you could consider setting up a temporary barrier until the kitten matures, and then replace the barrier with a cat tree that your cat could use to climb on.

There are lots of options for making a barrier of your own, from baby gates to shelving that can be easily put together to create a bigger, longer gate - depending on the distance you need to cover.
Would this be a barrier around the bed to stop the kitten from jumping off? Like a elevated crib in a way?

cosmic11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most cats love high places. You could put something next to the bed to make intermediate step(s) until the kitten is bigger. As it is, she'll probably just try climbing up anyway. (How do you get up there?)
How would I make steps up? Plywood ramp with ledges?
There's most likely a ladder.

5 feet isn't terribly high but still too high for a young kitten. An older kitten closer to a year old or an adult would be ok if you provide something like a tall cat tree next to the bed for the cat to use to get up and down.
Ok. Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could you post a picture of your loft bed set up so members can better suggest a way for a cat to safely get up and down? A cat tree placed next to the bed or cat shelves / ramps attached to the wall would be ideal but furniture (strapped to the wall with safety straps) would work too. There are loft bed stairs that double as storage that would also work.

Some ideas:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would this be a barrier around the bed to stop the kitten from jumping off? Like a elevated crib in a way?
As LTS3 LTS3 has said (as well as offered some nice pics for examples), how to make barriers would be dependent on what your set up is - so, if your not opposed to sharing a pic of your loft, it might help a lot.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a bunkbed when I was a kid, and our cats learned how to use the ladder, lol. But, yeah, steps or a cat tree next to it would be the best solution.

Most kittens who are old enough to go to a new home (12+ weeks) should be smart enough not to jump, and should be fine even if they do jump, but if you end up with a very young kitten for some reason you might have to protect them for a few weeks.

cosmic11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As LTS3 LTS3 has said (as well as offered some nice pics for examples), how to make barriers would be dependent on what your set up is - so, if your not opposed to sharing a pic of your loft, it might help a lot.
I had a bunkbed when I was a kid, and our cats learned how to use the ladder, lol. But, yeah, steps or a cat tree next to it would be the best solution.

Most kittens who are old enough to go to a new home (12+ weeks) should be smart enough not to jump, and should be fine even if they do jump, but if you end up with a very young kitten for some reason you might have to protect them for a few weeks.
20200904_090558.jpg

Here's my bed. I colored over the bottom so yall couldn't see how messy my desk is lol.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could easily see a kitten quickly learning how to get up but down might be an issue. Like others said, the kitten will need something placed near the ladder to help get it down. Probably as high as the top step on the ladder. I'd wait until it was older before having it up there though. A really tiny one who can't get itself up definitely won't be able to get itself down without a major spill. Don't stick the kitten up there and "hope" it can get down. You will need to wait until it can figure out the ladder or use a cat tree to transition to the bed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL - about the messy desk!! That is more like a top level of a bunk bed, so harder to enclose than an actual loft. If you are even remotely 'handy', you could build a cheap plywood ramp that the kitten can walk up and down. The ramp in the example pic I have included at the end of this post has cross wood beams nailed to it to help the kitten adapt to the angle. You could even make the cross beams wider/fatter and get some carpet remnants to add on the cross beams for extra 'gripping' power. You should be able to train the kitten to use the ramp by placing treats on it to get it to go up and down to eat the treats. After a couple of times, the kitten should understand what the ramp is for and use it to get to/from the bed. However, I would guess the ramp would have to be at least 6 feet in length to avoid the angle from being crazy steep. So, that depends on the size of your room from the bed edge to the opposite wall.

It could be made collapsible by connecting two pieces of wood with hinges for folding purposes. And, a smaller piece of wood could even be attached to the top of the plywood ramp with hinges, so that it rests over the top ledge of the bed frame. Either way, it could be placed against a wall out of the way when not in use.

I only suggest this route because 1.) it's cheaper and can be disposed of when you eventually get a cat tree to place by the bed after you kittens matures a bit, and 2.) training a young cat to walk a ramp should be easier, IMO, than training them to jump to/from various levels on a cat tree.

However, until you feel the kitten is trained on the ramp, I would have an enclosed bed for him/her on your bed when you go to sleep at night so s/he can't get off the bed another way. (Just an example: https://www.amazon.com/Loves-cabin-36in-Portable-Large&tag=thecatsite)

I am all about the cats!!! I am sure others will think I am crazy for recommending all of this!

Attachments

cosmic11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL - about the messy desk!! That is more like a top level of a bunk bed, so harder to enclose than an actual loft. If you are even remotely 'handy', you could build a cheap plywood ramp that the kitten can walk up and down. The ramp in the example pic I have included at the end of this post has cross wood beams nailed to it to help the kitten adapt to the angle. You could even make the cross beams wider/fatter and get some carpet remnants to add on the cross beams for extra 'gripping' power. You should be able to train the kitten to use the ramp by placing treats on it to get it to go up and down to eat the treats. After a couple of times, the kitten should understand what the ramp is for and use it to get to/from the bed. However, I would guess the ramp would have to be at least 6 feet in length to avoid the angle from being crazy steep. So, that depends on the size of your room from the bed edge to the opposite wall.

It could be made collapsible by connecting two pieces of wood with hinges for folding purposes. And, a smaller piece of wood could even be attached to the top of the plywood ramp with hinges, so that it rests over the top ledge of the bed frame. Either way, it could be placed against a wall out of the way when not in use.

I only suggest this route because 1.) it's cheaper and can be disposed of when you eventually get a cat tree to place by the bed after you kittens matures a bit, and 2.) training a young cat to walk a ramp should be easier, IMO, than training them to jump to/from various levels on a cat tree.

However, until you feel the kitten is trained on the ramp, I would have an enclosed bed for him/her on your bed when you go to sleep at night so s/he can't get off the bed another way. (Just an example: https://www.amazon.com/Loves-cabin-36in-Portable-Large&tag=thecatsite)

I am all about the cats!!! I am sure others will think I am crazy for recommending all of this!
That was exactly what I was thinking.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the ladder removable? If it is, you can replace it with bunk bed stairs which would be easier and safer for a cat to use. Bonus: it also doubles as extra storage space :) There are lots of DIY ones online if a store bought one or custom made one are too pricey.

A tall cat tree with a small foot print would fit on either side of the bunk bed.

For the opening between the side rail, maybe slide poster board or sturdy cardboard between the rail and the mattress to keep a cat from tumbling off.

cosmic11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is the ladder removable? If it is, you can replace it with bunk bed stairs which would be easier and safer for a cat to use. Bonus: it also doubles as extra storage space :) There are lots of DIY ones online if a store bought one or custom made one are too pricey.

A tall cat tree with a small foot print would fit on either side of the bunk bed.

For the opening between the side rail, maybe slide poster board or sturdy cardboard between the rail and the mattress to keep a cat from tumbling off.
Good idea, but I don't think I would be able to do that...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make DIY stairs? A handyman or other person could make it for a reasonable cost I think.

Since you can use the ladder just fine, it would be best to just get furniture of some sort for the cat to use. As already mentioned, a cat tree or cat shelves on the wall is ideal. Or just place sturdy furniture or something to make stairs next to the bed for the cat to use.