cat sleeping by the litter box

max

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have good-sized closet where I keep my 2 cats' litter box. For the most part, we haven't had any litter box problems. Recently, my very outgoing cat, Leroy, began sleepign in the bathroom - behind the door, on the bathmat, in the tub...Not a big deal. But a couple of times after I've sent him out of the bathroom, I'll come out only to find him laying by the litter box in the closet.

I thought cats don't like sleeping or eating near their litter box. He might be eating slightly less and drinking more water - but I can't really tell because I'm only making note of his behavior now, and I didn't pay as close attention before.

Is this weird? Could it be a sign of a problem?

Thanks!

jaci

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally posted by max
I have good-sized closet where I keep my 2 cats' litter box. For the most part, we haven't had any litter box problems. Recently, my very outgoing cat, Leroy, began sleepign in the bathroom - behind the door, on the bathmat, in the tub...Not a big deal. But a couple of times after I've sent him out of the bathroom, I'll come out only to find him laying by the litter box in the closet.

I thought cats don't like sleeping or eating near their litter box. He might be eating slightly less and drinking more water - but I can't really tell because I'm only making note of his behavior now, and I didn't pay as close attention before.

Is this weird? Could it be a sign of a problem?

Thanks!

jaci

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
on a recent visit to the humane society I commented that some of the cats were sleeping in the kitter box. an attendent explained that sometimes when conditions are uncertain for them they like the confines of the box.

maggs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tabitha sleeps wherever she wants...it's her right, she told me! the last two days I have found her in the laundry room where her food and litter box are also kept. She was all curled up in the laundry basket...and meowed when i went in to get the finished laundry cause I turned on the light and she was sleeping peacefully. Today she was sleeping in the empty basket..it is her newest place to relax. I have also found her on the side of the tub between the shower curtain and the liner. I just think she goes where she is comfortable and peacful. Maggs