Cat sitting

Blongosim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I’m watching my neighbors cat for the next few days. I’m a fur momma so I don’t have a great understanding of cats. Which is why I joined to get more insight and tips! My neighbors cat is actually a rescue and when she was a kitten we took turns feeding her on the street. She eventually took her in and it’s been a a good while since I’ve seen or interacted with her like I did when she was younger. I went in to feed her today and I approached the area slow I greeted her but subtlety and then as I was just trying to put food in her bowl she bit me. And she kept trying to bite my legs and had her back arched a lot of the time. I know she was scared and afraid or also maybe being territorial? My neighbor will be gone for 4 more days and I’m dreading this. I’m trying not to because I know they can feel that. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated!! All I have to really do is make sure she has food, her litter box is tidy, and she has water BUT she’s making that impossible for me to check. The last thing I want is for her to really get me. I’ve been wearing pants and long sleeves to be safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blongosim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s about a year old already!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One year old is a playful age, so its possible it was play, if there were no noises (hissing growling). Cats wouldn't usually arch their back at a human as part of aggression, not that I've seen anyways.

Regardless, for a week, its not worth trying to correct the behavior. Just stomp your feet to back the cat up a little. Maybe you'll be able to pet the cat after it eats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blongosim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought she was playing too, but her bites started to get more intense and she seemed to walk with her back arched and kind of pushing at me if that makes sens? as I was walking to and from to clean up her area and feed her. I think at first she was playing but after that she just seemed a little more mean

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought she was playing too, but her bites started to get more intense and she seemed to walk with her back arched and kind of pushing at me if that makes sens? as I was walking to and from to clean up her area and feed her. I think at first she was playing but after that she just seemed a little more mean
FWIW, My cat, about a year old, arches her back when she thinks it's time to play chase. She's also going through a bitey phase, and it was especially acute when I got back from one day of travel.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
arching her back and rubbing against you type pushing? might be she wants some pets or back scratches my cat graycie does this back arching trying to make herself look bigger/taller is best way i can describe it with her its trying to tease/invite telling me she wants to rough house and i better give her one of the stuffed dog toys i have for her to beat up on(for the grabbing ,biting and kicking with back legs)could also be she is just wound up and needs a good play session. if there is no hissing,growling type warning vocals i would be inclined to think she wanted to play and bring along a stick toy for her to chase the next trip over to feed etc.