Cat sitting for a week/Unique Issue

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will be cat sitting in my home my sisters 2.5 y.o. fixed male 37% Savannah cat  in a few weeks. I have  a 2 y.o. 10 lb female spayed tabby "Whitney" of my own that lives with me. Whitney loves all other people and animals and welcomes Carter with open paws.

Whitney feels no threat from Carter and shows only signs of patience, passivity-shows him her belly- and curiousity when he visits. She wants a friend.

However, Carter is another story he hides and hisses and bats at both me and Whitney. Last time Carter stayed he got an entire room to himself  and I kept Whitney on the other side of the door. I fed them on either side of the door too so they would associate food with each others scent. By the end of the visit they were playing "paws" at the bottom of the door jam. This was a year ago though and I am sure he forgot his cousin. For the most part poor Carter was under the bed terrified barely eating last visit.

How can I make it less stressful for him? We will have his own cat box, dishes , fav toys and something that smells like mom. I love him very much but am wary as he being a Savanah is much stronger and larger than Whitney. Whitney goes right up to him unafraid of him.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally; I would just let Carter have his own space and not attempt introductions.  Cats know each other by scent; so even though they have progressed to playing under a door before,  you might have to go through the same process again.  Of course if Carter reacts differently this time and wants it; you could try.  But if he is stressed; I wouldn't worry about introducing them.  

He might benefit from a Feliway diffuser in the room.  You would want to start it at least a few days before he comes (I've heard a week is best; so it builds up in the air).  When I had to leave my girls with my mother I brought along our big couch blanket that I snuggle with the girls on and a few shirts we had worn but not washed so they had our scent on them.  Some cats do better drinking if they have the same water they drink at home.  Just do what you can to bring familiar scents to him.  

Good luck! 

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I agree with @MoochNNoodles. Introductions are stressful for most cats. Even if your Whitney is an exception to the rule and seems to want the company, Carter sounds like a normal cat who would need a long and slow introduction. Too long for the duration of the cat sitting period and probably very stressful. 

Simply changing environments will be stressful, I wouldn't add any more stress by introducing them. And yes, there is a risk of aggressive behavior and it does sound like Carter could injure Whitney. Not worth the risk.