Cat-sitting And Viruses

emilielavoie88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I need some opinions about my cat. I'm going on vacation later this year. Usually, my father takes my cat in is home, we always did that with my other cat who passed aways 2 years ago.
The thing is, he has a cat too. What we always did was not making the cats see each other. For example, sometime in the day my cat would be downstairs while his cat is upstairs and vice versa. I never really thought about felv/fiv/coronavirus with my other cat. She was 15 years old when she died and you know, when I was 13 years old, internet wasn't really a thing and since she never went to the vet really (she was in really good health before her cancer), I wasn't even aware that those viruses existed.

Now, with my cat Billie, I'm a little bit anxious (because I'm always anxious haha), so I tested her for felv/fiv/coronavirus when I got her, and everything came out negative. I know false negative exist, but I don't want to talk about that today (and her parents were also negative, she comes from a very little ''cattery'' of 1 male 1 female).

I just want your opinions, because my father has to put his cat in a ''pet-sitter'' (I'm sorry, I speak french but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about) when he has to go away. I know there is a strong risk of viruses in these places. So I wanted to know your opinions about that. Do you think it is safe for my cat to be in the same house as my father's cat? All the cats that go to that cat-sitter need to have the vaccines for the viruses but I know they are not very effective... She would never be in contact with the cat, her litter, her food bowls etc, but she would go in the same places that the other cat go.

If I need to, I'm willing to test his cat for the viruses before Billie goes there. But if there is too much of a risk, I'll need to consider other options, but I don't see any that would be possible for now... That's why I wanted your opinions!

Thank you!

JazzyKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I need some opinions about my cat. I'm going on vacation later this year. Usually, my father takes my cat in is home, we always did that with my other cat who passed aways 2 years ago.

I just want your opinions, because my father has to put his cat in a ''pet-sitter'' when he has to go away. I know there is a strong risk of viruses in these places. Do you think it is safe for my cat to be in the same house as my father's cat? All the cats that go to that cat-sitter need to have the vaccines for the viruses but I know they are not very effective... She would never be in contact with the cat, her litter, her food bowls etc, but she would go in the same places that the other cat go.

If I need to, I'm willing to test his cat for the viruses before Billie goes there. But if there is too much of a risk, I'll need to consider other options, but I don't see any that would be possible for now... That's why I wanted your opinions!

Thank you!
Hi Emilie,
I think I hit post reply before I meant to! Personally, I have never liked boarding a cat, bad past experience. If your father is okay with it, a preferred method is pet sitting (what you mentioned), which means that kitty would stay home and someone would come by to take care of kittie's needs (food, water, litter box, TLC).

As far as the kitties catching something, one of the reasons I don't like boarding is kitty being exposed to 'who knows what'. I believe that what is more likely is that kitty would pick up a 'kennel cough' type of virus. Something more along the lines of a sinus infection/cold virus. If it has been awhile since his kitty was there, and he/she is not showing any signs of illness, then you are probably okay with your kitty visiting him.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Emilie - Is there any chance you or your father could isolate the visiting kitty in their own room with separate food and water bowls and litter boxes so the two cats don't mingle during the visit? That should mitigate any risk of viruses or parasites being spread. If you are worried about deadly diseases you can have your cat vaccinated for felv. From what I have read the vaccines for corona virus and fiv are not very effective.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. As long as you are both keeping up with all the standard vaccination routines, I don't think you need to be so concerned - particularly since you say the cats' paths are not really going to cross. The only thing that could pose an issue would be if either both or one of your cats are indoor/outdoor, parasites/other ailments could be brought into the house and spread from one cat to the other.

She would never be in contact with the cat, her litter, her food bowls etc, but she would go in the same places that the other cat go.
I am guessing this means that Billie would be staying in the same place your other cat, who passed away, spent time? If you were worried about any kind of viruses your other cat might have had, two years should clear most, if not all, chances of some lingering virus that might have once been in the environment. This would only be an issue if your father's cat has been treated for parasites recently and could have left remnants of them in that particular room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emilielavoie88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As far as the kitties catching something, one of the reasons I don't like boarding is kitty being exposed to 'who knows what'. I believe that what is more likely is that kitty would pick up a 'kennel cough' type of virus. Something more along the lines of a sinus infection/cold virus. If it has been awhile since his kitty was there, and he/she is not showing any signs of illness, then you are probably okay with your kitty visiting him.

I hope this helps!
Thank you! She doesn't show any symptoms of cold or anything like that! What I'm the most afraid of is the coronavirus that can lead to FIP... But I don't know if that is possible with both cats not being in direct contact with each other...

emilielavoie88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Emilie - Is there any chance you or your father could isolate the visiting kitty in their own room with separate food and water bowls and litter boxes so the two cats don't mingle during the visit? That should mitigate any risk of viruses or parasites being spread. If you are worried about deadly diseases you can have your cat vaccinated for felv. From what I have read the vaccines for corona virus and fiv are not very effective.
I think it would be possible yes, but my cat would be in a room that is very small... But I can ask for my fathers cat to be in the basement for 2 weeks, it would not be that bad. But if my fathers cat was in the whole house just before my cat arrives, I'm wondering if there is a risk. But I know I'm a little paranoid.. haha!

emilielavoie88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am guessing this means that Billie would be staying in the same place your other cat, who passed away, spent time? If you were worried about any kind of viruses your other cat might have had, two years should clear most, if not all, chances of some lingering virus that might have once been in the environment. This would only be an issue if your father's cat has been treated for parasites recently and could have left remnants of them in that particular room.
No, my other cat had cancer, I think she had also FHV but like you said, it has been 2 years. What I'm most scared about is my father's cat who was at the cattery all winter. I'm scared she could have a virus, like coronavirus or felv/fiv and could spread viruses in the house of my father where my cat will be in during my vacations! What I don't know is if it's possible for my cat to catch someting without being in direct contact with the cat/litter box/food and waters bowls... I also know that maybe I'm thinking too much.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are SO many cats who have the corona virus, but it never mutates to FIP.

I have to go back to two things: 1.) Was your father's cat ever tested for corona virus? and 2.) Has your father's cat been vaccinated?

Most cats who have been exposed either through a cattery or a vaccination produce antibodies against the virus. And, when they are generally beyond 2-3 years of age, their immune systems are strong enough to ward off the mutation.

So, another factor is how old both cats are?

I don't blame you for being cautious, but maybe you are being overly cautious. Here is one of many articles you can read about general information related to corona.

Feline Coronavirus Infection

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
fiv requires a very deep bite to be transmitted. felv transmits a little easier but I don't remember how. Did you get your cat vaccinated for felv? I've heard that getting the cat vaccinated can lead to false positive readings for the illness. We got ours vaccinated because the vet said it would help her create antibodies.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A small room is probably bigger than any cage that she would be put in at a boarding facility. If you are just going on vacation for a week or two I'm sure she can manage. Alternatively you could hire someone who you trust to visit/feed her at your house, but I think cat sitters are very expensive these days. I looked at the cost over X-mas break and went :headshake:

emilielavoie88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry I never answered to all your messages... A couple of days after I posted the question, my dad's cat died... She was 17 years old and wasn't able to walk anymore, it happened really suddenly. :(

emilielavoie88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She had allergies for most of her life. To be honest, my dad didn't really do any reseach or tests, the vet recommended a Royal Canin cat food for allergies but it didn't work, she had to take prednisone and became quite fat. Has she got older, she had pain in her legs (because of her weight I'm pretty sure), and I think she jumped from somewhere too high and got injured. Her leg was bending on the wrong side (sorry if I don't explain it properly I speak french). She was too old and sick to have an operation :(

My cat is doing very well, she loves that spring is finally here, she can watch all the birds from the windows! :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please tell your dad I am so sorry. But, regardless, she lived a long life and that is all we want for our babies.

I am glad to hear your girl is doing well.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She had allergies for most of her life. To be honest, my dad didn't really do any reseach or tests, the vet recommended a Royal Canin cat food for allergies but it didn't work, she had to take prednisone and became quite fat. Has she got older, she had pain in her legs (because of her weight I'm pretty sure), and I think she jumped from somewhere too high and got injured. Her leg was bending on the wrong side (sorry if I don't explain it properly I speak french). She was too old and sick to have an operation :(

My cat is doing very well, she loves that spring is finally here, she can watch all the birds from the windows! :)
I'm so sorry. I wonder if at 17 years if her bones were getting brittle, poor thing and please tell your dad I'm sorry for his loss.
I'm glad your cat is enjoying the spring :hellocomputer: