Cat Sitter while on vacation for stressed cat

Arpita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat who normally was fine with a cattery got unwell during his visit to the cattery last August (he got so used to being around me during lockdown and got stressed when away from me and our house). His stress caused him to form urinary tract infection (FLUTD) and he is now on special diet. He is fine now. Later this year I plan to go on a 3 week vacation and have been looking into alternate options. For now, I have found a cat sitter who will visit twice a day. The problem is my cat is an indoor-outdoor cat and for obvious reasons I dont want him to be let out during the period I am away.

Will it be alright to keep a indoor-outdoor cat indoors for 3 weeks with a cat sitter visiting him twice a day. Any words of advice will be hugely appreciated, I am losing sleep worried about his care in my absence.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I always feel it's way better to keep a cat at home rather than a cattery, so it's good that he's able to be there.
I think this option is quite ok. It's not at all feasible to have him go out. Do you have anyway of creating an outdoor enclosure?

The ideal thing, of course, is to have someone live in. I just had people housesitting for me, looking after my two, whom I found on a housesitting website. You need to vet them really well, but it might be an option (I'm in Australia but I'm sure you have something similar where you are). Otherwise your option sounds good.

When I go away I make the house into a cat playhouse, with tunnels and boxes and anything else a cat would love all over the place. That might stop him from pining for the great outdoors. That and some pots of catgrass. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Arpita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks a lot Mani, it is reassuring to know this will be a good option. I live in South East London and a bit wary about letting ppl stay in the house. But might look into it soon :)

p.s I love your cat's names

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I do understand the concern.. I've lived in London myself and would probably think twice.

Thank you.. They are Sundar Mani and Nilah Mani.. I have a thing about Sanskrit :)