cat sits and meows at me, is it more than boredom? is it to do with 'permission'

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

Back in 2022 when i joined this forum, I mentioned to everyone that my kitten who was then 3 M.O, would sit diagonal to my work table and just meow at me. I know that he's most likely just bored, but I was wondering if there was any kind of cat psychology which would point this towards needing 'permission' to do things?

He does go off from that corner to eat, look out the window, go to the litter box and to sleep but for many instances in the day he will return to sitting there, meowing and staring. I've attached a photo of what this loosk like. He'll sit at this point and just meow and stare. It doesn't matter if I have a play session with him to tire him out, he'll go right back to this corner and just stare and meow again and again. This has now been happening for a full year since he was only 3 months only (he's now a 1 year and 2 months )

Maybe he feels like I need to not be at the work table and up and about in order for him to be allowed to do stuff?

PS. I feel like this has to be added, he has so many toys, a massive cat tower, a big window and is not lacking in food and water either..

Attachments

Last edited:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, this is a response that only a cat lover would suggest........ Invite him up on the table and give him a place to lay down. Maybe he just wants to be close to you.

If I sit down at my desk, one of my cats is almost frantic to get on the desk and wedge himself between the keyboard and the computer, or squeeze himself between my lap and the desk (he is 20 pounds).

He's trying to tell you something.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's wanting something from you. If you get up to follow him does he lead you somewhere?

You can try leaving out enrichment things to see if he will engage in things on his own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, thanks for all your responses!

I think it's because he's food obsessed. Sometimes he leads me into the kitchen in a plea to get more food, sometimes he doesn't and he just sits there. I've tried to coax him onto the table, yet again.. sometimes he comes up and sometimes he doesn't. I really wish I knew what he wanted. I'll pet him too in case he's just after some affection, but that doesn't always work.

I'm starting to think it's just a mystery i'm never going to be able to solve

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I talk to my cat when she meows constantly which has worked. Or sing,play music,pull out a trixie puzzle. Electronic toys thou she may be too old soon. Catify!

downton ali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you engage in interactive playtime with him, such as a wand toy that he can chase or hunt? That works for my guys. I try to wear them out, give them a bit to eat and then get back to work.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi guys, thanks for all your responses!

I think it's because he's food obsessed. Sometimes he leads me into the kitchen in a plea to get more food, sometimes he doesn't and he just sits there. I've tried to coax him onto the table, yet again.. sometimes he comes up and sometimes he doesn't. I really wish I knew what he wanted. I'll pet him too in case he's just after some affection, but that doesn't always work.

I'm starting to think it's just a mystery i'm never going to be able to solve
He likely wants different things different times just like any living being 😊 he just knows the meowing gives the attention.

Try doing some button training with him perhaps and he can communicate his wants/needs with you (see Bunny or Stella the talking dog or Billie the talking cat). It took mine about a year to start using the buttons.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Agreed with all the comments above. Have you tried stowing some toys somewhere for a while and rotating them in and out instead of leaving lots of toys out? This can keep up his interest as toys that have been away for a while "feel" new again when you rotate them back into play.

p.s. he is adorable!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat used to yodel in the bathroom. Then he figured out I was slow, so now he gets his favorite toy, Carrie’s it in his mouth & walks towards me yodeling.

I suggest mini play breaks when you get up to get a coffee or snack or lunch. I also suggest (if you can) petting him while you work one handedly. I gave my last cat a bed on my computer table and would pet him while I was on the computer.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Looking forward to hearing how your progress is over the weekend.

Have you tried anything yet to show him how you want him to communicate with you?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started a thread about my cat, Willy, constantly staring me in the eyes, and vocalizing whenever I look at him.

Odd new quirky behavior?

He also sits on the floor often, and meows at me. He is not around the age of your cat... he is a senior (about 10 years old). And this behavior increased as he aged.

Most of the time, in Willy's case, it is about food. He always wants more, or if some of his wet food has gotten cold, he is whining for fresher, warmer food (I microwave his wet food as that was how I got him to transition from dry to wet).

I do try to play with him whenever he is whining at me, but often it is only about food. So sometimes I just have to ignore it.

Also, he often deliberately sits next to his empty food dish and meows at me, which is how I know he is asking for food. 😂

This is just my one cat's story. This behavior can have a million different causes.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe a silly question, but are you sure he IS getting enough to eat:?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe a silly question, but are you sure he IS getting enough to eat:?
super interesting suggestion because I do actually think this has to do with it.
He needs dry food available all the time in his dish or he gets antsy. I've made sure to have this for him the last couple of days and I have to say, his meowing has stopped. The reason why i didn't do this earlier is because when he was a kitten (5 months -8 months ) he never cared about having food on hand. He'd have his 3 square meals a day and that was it. Now he seems to want to have it there just 'incase'.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe check with the vet about what his wt. is supposed to be for his general activity level vs what other cats weigh for theirs.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs dry food available all the time in his dish or he gets antsy.
That's interesting. Willy whines at me sometimes when he has perfectly good wet food in his dish -- like fresh wet food -- but no dry along with it. And like I said, he's on a 3:1 wet:dry diet, so this situation is going to happen all the time.

I sprinkle a small amount of dry pieces on the wet food and he's fine. And then he will eat the wet food also.

He strongly prefers dry over wet, but is healthier on mostly wet, and he eats it but sometimes begrudgingly, like I described.