Cat Sick?

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(gross warning)
My cat threw up 3 or 4 times this morning, and i think it was just hairballs because there was a lot of loose hair and yellow stuff, no blood or anything, but that's very unusual to happen 3 times in a row. It's been about 6 hours since that happened and he's been really sleepy since then. No more vomiting though. I'm not sure if he's gotten water or food since I havent been able to watch him the whole time even though I wanted to. I think he ate a 1 or 2 inch piece of thick yarn from one of his toys 2 days ago (i made sure there was no way that could happen again right after) but hes been fine up until now. I'm not sure if he ate it because i only saw him run away with it in his mouth, trying to chew and swallow, and it was too late to stop him. He's purring and laying against me and I don't know yet if he's just sleepy and content or really sick. Nothing seems out of the ordinary except that he might be breathing fast and hard for just laying down, I dont know if I'm just imagining it. Should I wait it out? Is there any test I can do to see if his intestines are blocked or something? My judgement is really skewed because I'm a bit of a hypochondriac and it extends to my cat's health issues too lol, so i might be panicking for nothing. Thank you for reading ^^

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - not to worry about gross, folks here are ok with that :). Do you have a vet you can call and discuss this with? I'm concerned about the fast breathing. Hang in there!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you saw him with yarn in his mouth, then you aren't projecting your on issues on to him. Now, maybe this is nothing, but it is a reason to be concerned. I'd definitely call your vet and discuss it with him. The fast breathing is a bit worrisome. Better safe than sorry, in this case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is your cat doing? And what is your cat's name?
He's doing great now, and his name is Caine ^^ He's a 3 year old tuxedo cat who I got late last year, he already means the world to me. I contacted the vet but before I could get him in the carrier everything went back to normal and the vet was closed for the weekend. I am still going to take him to the vet for a general checkup, and I'll describe what happened. I tried several times to get him in the carrier with different methods but he put up a fight, so I think next time I'll keep my plans clear all day and wait for him to lay on a towel so I can wrap him up. I suspect that there was no relation to the yarn and that he didn't swallow it. He's had no digestive issues. I think he just had 4 nasty hairballs and it led to a temporary state of discomfort, but I'll leave that to the experts.