Cat sick when pooping

Keykey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay kookie is a 14/15 spayed female she’s never had any health issues apart from with her teeth and that’s it.

from April every time she tried to poop she was sick, she would pass small hard poops. I took her to the vets and they did blood tests on her and said they was all clear so gave her loxicom and some pink tablets for a stomach ulcer and a dewormer even tho she doesn’t have worms.

she seemed fine for a bit but was just picky with food. Then about two weeks ago I noticed her going back to square one and struggling to wee before passing a large dark puddle. So I got a sample and took it to the vets with kookie in toe and they said she had a misdiagnosed UTI so gave her sylonux? And cystaid. I asked about constipation and they said no that isn’t the issue. She seemed fine on the tablets started eating again bcos she’s lost ALOT of weight. She’s half British shorthair so used to be heavy and now she’s like a bag of bones.I’ve tried cheap food and expensive food, grain free and kitten food and she goes off it after a day and will only eat small mouthfuls if any at all.

today she was sick again. She went to the tray to wee, passed that fine. Then was sick and went to poop then was sick whilst she was mid poop then was sick twice after. She’s barely touched anything at all today and I feel like crying. I feel like the vets aren’t much help and I just don’t know what’s wrong with her

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry to hear Kookie is sick! At her age, if it were me, I would be looking for another vet to get a second opinion, pronto! You can get a copy of all her records from the current vet to share with a new vet to help reduce redundant costs and speed up the diagnostic process.

If she is constipated, that could cause straining - maybe even enough to cause her to vomit. I would usually suggest something like Miralax to help loosen her stool, but I really think she needs to be evaluated by another vet before trying anything on your own. She may need fluids if she is dehydrated enough from the vomiting, not to mention the fluids would also help somewhat with the constipation.

Do you have friends, family, neighbors, co-workers you could ask for a vet referral?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Keykey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m taking her to the vets tonight bcos she hasn’t eaten at all today and won’t touch food and she didn’t eat anything yesterday and I haven’t seen her drink either. She’s currently just looking depressed in the cat bed all she’s done is just sleep on and off

I asked about constipation last time and they said that isn’t the case and said she had a UTI bcos there was traces of blood in her wee. Idk why but I feel like it’s cancer I had a previous cat who kept getting UTIS and when they finally did the scan on him he had cancer. I asked last time and they said they couldn’t feel anything...

I just feel sick she looks awful and I don’t know what to do with her at all. if they send her home with meds again I feel like they won’t work and she’ll just go back to square one until she dies or something I’m just so worried about her and I don’t want her to be in pain bcos I love her so much but she’s just a shell if what she used to be she’s gone all skinny and she looks depressed

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Make sure that when they do the urinalysis this time, that they also perform a urine culture which would be a better way to identify the most effective antibiotics. The wrong antibiotic can help but won't necessarily eradicate the UTI. Blood in the urine can be from more than just a UTI - it can be from crystals in the bladder also. Don't get ahead of yourself about the cancer concern. For now, focus on getting her to feel better so you can get her to eat and drink normally again.

You also need to ask the vet about anti-nausea meds so perhaps she could back to eating again. And, don't forget to ask about fluids as well in case she is dehydrated. You can also try some of the suggestions in this article about how to get your cat back to eating.
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles

And, I would still get a second opinion - from an entirely different vet practice - soon. Let us know how the vet visit goes, please.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Keykey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I will do I hope it’s something fixable but I’m sorry worried about her she’s just been curled up away most of the day and done nothing, she’s just joined me on the bed now and is curled up close to my arm.