Cat sick. Low appetite, throw up & dirrahea.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a 11mo kitty. he stopped eating yesterday. probably only had 1/4 to 1/3 of his normal calorie intake. before bed, i gave him chicken baby food and he ate it like he was starving.
he had mild stomatitis in november but was cleared up after a injection shot. i thought maybe it came back since he only ate baby food which makes sense since he doesnt have the chew and bite on that, so its easier for him to eat and less painful
early this morning he threw up clear slimmy stuff and i noticed mild diarrhea outside the litterbox. i have 2 cats but im gonna assume its his because the other cat is acting normal.
its hard to get a vet appt, its all at least 2 weeks out. and my reg vet NEVER ANSWERS THE PHONE! you probably have a 10% chance of them answering. been calling all morning. no answer and no option to leave a message. when will this be considered an emergency to take him to a hospital? he was 10.93lbs yesterday, today hes 10.67lbs. hes still very playful though

update. hes eating like hes starving right now. hes eating pate friskies. something that hes picky about so i never feed him that but decided to try and hes eating it. his favorite is dry food but no luck with that. so it makes sense if its dental problems since hes only eating baby food and pate but doesnt explain vomit and diarrhea

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Just my opinion, but.....An 11 month old kitten is too young to have dental issues. Are you sure it was stomatis?
Also a diet of just baby food does not contain the correct nutrients, vitamins, and Taurine.. Taurine is very important for a cat's health.
If he is vomiting and his stools are discolored, you really need a Vet visit. It could be as easy as worms.

I would suggest you Make the appointment, now.. and do not wait. The few ounces is not much of a weight loss; however, the vomiting, refusing to eat, and the strange poop is..
I would keep on a soft cat food diet, of pate... something that is nutritionally full.
If your kitty starts refusing the Friskies.. and still has issues, then, an ER Visit is Called for..

I wish you luck..

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t have a lot of experience with diarrhea in cats. Mine went through a bout of it when she had a small amount of hair plugging up her intestine. I would say the most important thing, until you can get to your vet, is to make sure he’s getting enough water. My girl wants baby food when her tummy is upset too. I put a little water with it. If he’s eating regular wet, make sure you put plenty of extra water in that too. A little Pedialyte in his water wouldn’t be a bad idea. You can also feed some diluted by syringe if he gets worse. I would stay away from dry food during any bouts of vomiting or diarrhea, since the possibility of dehydration is high.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you both.
vet had stomatitis vs periodontitis. in late november he wouldnt eat anything. vet noticed the dental problem and gave him depo injection in the gums, hasnt had a flare up since.
how are worms comfirmed? and how is it treated? just a deworming? hes due for flea and tick but like i said, its impossible to get a hold of the vet office. i called 25x today and its not even noon yet. straight to recording of voicemail is full and person cant take my call. thinking about going in and asking for an appt in person, and also maybe taking my cat and demand for them to see him NOW since they made me drive over there cause they can answer a freaking call.
i will hold off of dry till hes all better

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have much to offer, but if this is involving his teeth, would he eat the dry if you soaked it in water, just as another option for food? Any food changes before the diarrhea started? The vomiting, if it only started after he reduced his eating could be the result of acid build up in his stomach.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No food changes. I still can't help to think his dental problems came back based on him only eating Pate and baby food. Maybe vomit and mild diarrhea caused by not eating? Idk. I'm going to the vet and taking him with. I've called 30x now, this is ridiculous. Not just today. Most days too. Been trying to get flea and tuck prescription since the 1st.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
they were at lunch (2 hour lunch break, freaking weirdos) they still wont answer, im about to break.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
You could try a chicken free, Novel ingredient food.. as a start.. Pate type.
I know Vets are expensive.. but I think your baby needs a good one; if there is one available near you.

One other thing to try: BONE Broth.., make sure there are NO ONIONS, NO GARLIC in it.. It can do wonders for healing..
Or make your own. I would try BEEF bone broth.. just get bones, there are recipes on line.. This can help heal the GI tract--NOT if there are parasites, or other issues. It can be soothing for both kitties and humans with GI issues...

Yes, see the VET.. You need to...
(((HUGS))).
PS. I was rushed with my earlier post.. sorry.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you think hes senstive to chicken? i had a cat like that, his symptoms dont match what she had. after doing so much research yesterday, i got an appt elsewhere for the 22nd. he ate a good amount for breakfast (pate), still not his usual amount. i offered him milk because he always go after my cereal, just wanted to see if he drinks it, he didnt. so something is for sure wrong

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
you think hes senstive to chicken? i had a cat like that, his symptoms dont match what she had. after doing so much research yesterday, i got an appt elsewhere for the 22nd. he ate a good amount for breakfast (pate), still not his usual amount. i offered him milk because he always go after my cereal, just wanted to see if he drinks it, he didnt. so something is for sure wrong.
Chicken sensitivity is always a possibility. But, as far as the milk goes, he might like it from your cereal because the cereal changes the flavor of the milk. So maybe it's not the milk but the cereal-flavoring? Besides milk is really not a great thing to give a cat, at least not on any regular basis, and probably less so for a cat that is throwing up and having diarrhea.

Good for getting another appt. but also good that he is at least eating some food!!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
If it is a food allergy, chicken is usually the culprit. I am just very cautious. I have had 2 cats who are chicken sensitive. I avoid it.
Try something else, in rotation.
Also, cats are all lactose intolerant. Do not give them milk.

just my thoughts.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
its not cereal hes after, its milk. i'll leave it when im done, moments later i see him drinking milk. i always stop him, and take to the sink. i only wanted to see if he would eat it, to get an idea if hes still feeling sick. he refused. he def ate more today, finished a whole 5.5oz of wet (first since this started), when he finished that, i gave a bit of dry and he ate it.
he door dashed (something he always does) today, waited till he came in. He came in with a lizard. i usually dont let him stay out, i go get him asap but i live in arizona so its super HOT, he doesnt tolorate the heat at all so he never stays out long anyways anymore, comes back in, says "yeah nevermind"lol. anyways at least he felt well to go hunting

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
update: he has been feeling well since maybe wednesday. now, my other cat isnt eating. for a couple days now he hasnt been eating all his food but still has been eating more than half at least. today, he only ate a couple bites for breakfast. its now 215p, tried again, he refusesd. still going potty, drinking and playing. maybe a stomach bug? maybe thats what my other cat had and now its been passed to the 2nd cat? some info, is that 6 days ago they got a dose of bravecto. 2nd cat licked it quite a bit, threw up twice. kept an eye on him for any other symptoms. but like i said, that was 6 days ago. he had a dose 3 months ago and he did good so this isnt the first time he got bravecto.

yasmincittaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly maybe try a different type of food. A different brand ? I have pretty picky eaters for cats one wont eat anything but hard food and the other will not eat anything but wet food so its trial and error process

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i buy friskies wet variety packs so they get something different every day. he refused purina one kitten dry, turkey filets and chicken pate both friskies. i now tried fancy feast kitten ocean whitefish, he finally ate. but only about 3/4 of the 3oz can. its now about 630pm and only has eaten about 90 calories today so far. up to a couple days ago he was eating 300 calories, went down to about 270 calories for a couple days. now like i said, just 90 calories today. hes 10 months 8.5lbs. gonna keep an eye on him and hopefully whatever it is, passes like it did with my other cat last week.

yasmincittaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you ever take them to the vet? Maybe its a stomach bug that your first cat gave to your second one ? Personally if my cat was not eating throwing up and had dirrahea I would rush them to the hospital. A lot of bad cat disease have those exact symptoms and I would not take a chance. I feel like since they are still eating its a good sign that its nothing BIG but go to the emergency room or go to your vet's office in person to back a appointment. They cant ignore you then. At the very least i think bug or maybe something going in with their stomach

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the 1st cat has since recovered from whatever it was. i couldnt get him in till this coming wednesday. when he was sick, the 2nd kitty was eating his left overs. now its the reverse. the 1st kitty is now eating the left overs. so hes all better. so today i was gonna cancel his appt for wednesday but now thinking about taking 2nd kitty instead. difference is 2nd kitty hasnt had diarrhea or vomitting unlike the 1st kitty when he was sick.

yasmincittaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hmm, this is why i feel like its more of a they ate something that didnt agree with them situation. But I think taking 2nd kitty in and having them check them out is a good idea. Chances are they both have the same thing going on