Cat sick, and vet visit in 14 days.. what to do?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My probiotic of choice is Benebac Plus. I also use S.boulardii if diarrhea is a problem - my vet suggests 1/4 capsule of generic Florastor. The nice thing about S.boulardi is that since it is a fungus, it survives the stomach acids so doesn't need to be in an enteric coating.
I am happy that the storm has moved on :clap:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
My probiotic of choice is Benebac Plus. I also use S.boulardii if diarrhea is a problem - my vet suggests 1/4 capsule of generic Florastor. The nice thing about S.boulardi is that since it is a fungus, it survives the stomach acids so doesn't need to be in an enteric coating.
Thank you 🙏🏼 I’ll be sure to check that out soon :)

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
update:
Bebe’s vet visit is Monday, and she’s better than she was when i first posted this thread. Only thing is the meowing and eating that’s an issue, she’s appearing to return back to her normal behaviors but i havent seen her get zoomies like before. I just hope now that the vet provides an accurate diagnosis and that she doesnt have any severe conditions

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
update: Bebe is almost the same with eating and drinking and she's going outside more, but I still haven't seen her get zoomies yet. will post an update tomorrow night after i get off work

However, I have another cat, whose unofficial name is Spot, that now is having similar symptoms. He hasn't ate since Thursday but just this morning he ate a little bit before my brother mistakenly scared him off (I was upset about that), and he drank water. I will start a separate thread regarding how to help him out since i can't pet him

Again, I can't thank you guys enough for the support and feedback 🧡

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
one thing, do you use the powder or gel supplement version of Benebac Plus?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
since vet appointments are so hard to get, I would stuff Spot in the carrier with Bebe and tell vet they have the same symptoms. No point in waiting another 14 days to get Spot seen. Worst case the vet looks you in the eye and says, no, I can't look at the extra cat you brought because you didn't make an appointment for him 13 days before he got sick. If your vet does this you need a new vet.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Benebac+ powder and mix it in a canned food gruel. Some L-lysine might help with immune support, too. You can also mix it with Gerber stage 2 chicken or beef baby food; you can thin out the gruel with chicken broth.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
guys I'll have to wait to reply but thank you so much for the responses.. something horrible happened to my cat Blanco, he is no longer with me,, I would like to post another thread regarding how to cope and I'll make sure to post updates on my cat Spot in the other thread, but for now, it's postponed
I will most likely post Blanco's new thread after i bury him, but I'll make sure to leave flowers with him, and to keep some of his fur with me somewhere, and his pawprint

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
My 3yr old-spayed-mostly indoors-semiferal cat has been sick since last week. Starting this year she's had troubles with fleas, worms, and a flea allergy. I took her to her first vet visit in July and they helped me out with those problems. Prior to the visit, she was always grooming in between her legs and her lower stomach, to the point where she was losing fur and could see her skin. She still hasn't recovered that fur back and typically still grooms herself there, but since last week she's been low energy. She's always been a very picky eater in comparison to my 22 semiferals, only eating specific wet/dry foods, real chicken and turkey, and would only eat it if it's in a specific location and situation. Since last week she's been walking kinda weak, it seemed she was in pain but isn't making any noises besides licking her lips typically. She's walking differently and has to really prepare herself to jump to bed, something that's not normal of her. Apart from all that, she appears to be still wanting to eat, as she makes the jump to the table to see what i can feed her. Again, she'll only eat specific foods and sometimes I have to encourage her to eat, and she does drink water, but right now, the only activities she's done are eat, sleep, drink, and sometimes scratch the cat furniture, all while looking low energy. I have a vet visit scheduled in the morning for Monday Sept 20, but I feel that that's too far. I have a really busy schedule now, and I would try to see if the vets can take her in earlier but it would also have to be in line with my schedule.. what can I do to take care of her in the meantime? Feed her real chicken, tuna? I read from another thread I posted last week that I could try to find antibiotics from live feed stores. I plan on doing that soon if i can find a good store nearby. Sorry if i made any grammatical errors im about to go to work and get off at 11, when I'll reply. Thanks for feedback in advance :)
The lip licking is usually nausea. To me, her symptoms seem problematic enough that you should probably see if you can get her in sooner. She is lethargic, not eating well or on her own, weak, and probably nauseated. These could all indicate something serious going on. I don't have any experience with using antibiotics from a feed store, so can't advise on that. It also presupposes an infection which she may or may not have.
If you are unable to get in to see the vet what about an emergency cat/animal hospital.