Cat sick 48 hours after vet visit

MIMIBRO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought my cat to the vet Saturday at 1:30 for a routine checkup and vaccines appointment. He hates being in a carrier, so he was very stressed the whole way there and back (1.5 hours total time in a carrier in the car). This was my first vet visit with him, since we adopted him only 2 months ago. He's 2.5 years old.

After a physical exam and fecal test, we were told everything looks good and healthy.

Sunday he was completely fine, eating and drinking normal and super cuddly. Monday he ate his morning meal and then at around 12, so 48 hours after the vet, he's been very lethargic and hasn't eaten a meal since. He tried to eat a little bit overnight but he threw it up and and since thrown up again but only saliva.

He isn't hiding. He's mostly going between our bed (on top) and the litter (diarrhea).

Initially we thought this is an adverse reaction to the vaccines, but he didn't react until 48 hours later. Is it possible that the stress of the trip to and from the vet caused a delayed problem with his stomach? We've never seen him eat something he wasn't supposed to.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats experience 'consolation' behavior after a vet visit - eating/drinking/cuddling as solace for what they feel they went through. Adrenalin also plays a role in cats who are super-hyped from a vet visit. All that has settled down a bit now, and perhaps now he is feeling some 'after effects' from the vaccines.

I would call the vet nonetheless and ask about the possibility of a somewhat delayed reaction to the vaccines, up to and including the diarrhea. I have heard that some vaccinations can cause reactions anywhere from a few hours or a few days afterward and can last from a few days to a few weeks, in some cats. Maybe the vet can confirm this, and tell you what to look for.

I would also buy some baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) and see if he will eat that. Most cats love baby food meat, and it might help to settle his stomach/digestive tract. The throwing up saliva could very well be due to a lack of food in his belly, and the stomach acids are irritating the lining.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would bet it is stress AND the vaccines. the stress kept him going that long and vaccines take a few days to start to work in the body, It takes a while for the antibodies to replicate enough to be bothersome. You might try some lickable treats and get some bland deli turkey to try. Definitely get hold of the vet and tell them to chart his reaction, they may want to try a different vaccine next time. He may take another 48 hours to feel better, any longer contact the vet.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Make sure he's still peeing. If he's not he needs to go back to the vet immediately.