Cat shuts the door to bedroom every night.

dieseldane83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a kitten on the Internet and decided to get her. She was the only female left and was about 4 weeks old. She came from a couple who was living in a run down motel who you could tell were on hard times. Anyway the cat I brought home has became a very sweet but also a very interesting cat. She is almost 1 year old now. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment so the spare bedroom has became her play room so to speak with all her toys in there, food, and liter box. The one thing surprises me about this cat is when I go to bed. I leave her in the living room with her room (spare bedroom) open. After about 10 min of me laying in bed I hear the spare bedroom door shut. I got up one night after I heard it shut and reopened it thinking she done it by accident. No. She closes the door to "her" room every night when I go to bed. She also closes "her" door when I am gone to work. So every morning when I wake up she is locked up in "her" bedroom and it's not because of me. Every afternoon after I get home from work same thing. She has locked herself in "her" room. Anyone have any ideas of why she would do this? I have had 3 cats growing up and never encountered this. Thanks.

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello, welcome to TCS :wavey:

I was just wondering weather you had anything hanging on the back of the door such as a dressing gown with a belt which your cat might be trying to play with? This might be causing her to accidentally close the door while trying to get at it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dieseldane83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No. There is nothing hanging on the back of the door also I never find any of the toys close to the door. Seems like she plays with her toys close to the toy basket. Only thing close to the door is the end of the bed. She has been doing this for a good 3 months now and it is every single night. I am still kinda amused by this.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
we have door stops for every door in our house due to Mikki doing the same thing. She's obsessed with shutting doors :)
I have to say, she can also OPEN them! She will jump up and swing the lever down to open it!

dieseldane83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the round door knobs and would love too see if she could open the lever style. At least then she could let herself out.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
lol, one time we had her teeth cleaned, so she was put under. A travelling vet did it, so when he was done, he brought Mikki in the house and told me to put Mikki in a quiet place...to let her sleep until the medication wore off. I put her in my closet, shut the door, then also shut the door to my bedroom. Ten minutes later I hear all this thumping noise and out walks Mikki!! She opened both doors!

dieseldane83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lol I would have been so surprised after opening 2 doors. Some things my cat does I just look at go, ok, I am impressed.

stv09iro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a similar issue with my cats. They both loved playing in the crack between the door and the floor - even without toys they just loved sticking their paws in there, inevitably leading to the door closing... And then of course immediately wanting to be let out 

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats hate the closed door. 

We close them in with us at night because that is where all their carriers are; if anything happened in the middle of the night, we can get them out.

Anyway... Loki especially hates the closed door.  There is a bit of a chunk out of the bottom of it where he has reached under to grab at it and try to open it.  He DOES constantly open the closet doors, he's done that since he was only a year old.  Once he figured out how they slid to the side, that was it. 

Funny thing is, he also realizes that our patio door slides the same way.  One day, I left it open just a crack while I stepped outside.  I turned around to see him at the door, ears laid back, tail snapping, and paw swiping at the door, trying to open it just like the closet doors.  I couldn't help but giggle at him as he growled at the door because it was too heavy.   Silly kitty.  

Kayle&Jessica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My one Kitten who is just over 5 months old has been doing this for a month now. He will come into the bedroom when it’s “bedtime” because my fiancée and I always watch Netflix before bed, he will wait for his sister to come in(actual sister from the same litter) and once everyone is in the bed he goes the the bedroom do, gets on his hind legs, props him self against the door and walks it closed. I have never seen anything like it in my life, it’s so adorable but so very weird and odd at the same time. Yet during the day when everyone is awake he keeps the door open, so she and he can also play threw the side crack by the hinges or under up the door gap and hardwood. Mainly by the hinges. They’re always are trying to swat or bop each other on the forehead through the crack. It’s such a weird but adorable thing honestly.
He is the Black and White kitten and his name is Bonkers, he has definitely earned that name. Lol
She is the all black kitten and her name is HunnieGirl, because she is so sweet, caring and just adorable.
63187D71-4CE9-491E-B158-8F0253B1229D.jpeg

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL our cats used to do this but we would leave our bedroom door open so they could get in and they would close it on accident then could not get back in and scratch on the door! They actually make something that will hold it open. But the easiest thing to do is take a towel and put it over the top of the door. If you are short you need to stand on stool, thankfully my fiance is 6’3. It will allow the door to close but not the whole way. It leaves it open enough that the cat cat take their paw and push or pull it if they need to get in or out should they accidentally push it shut.