Cat Show: Favorite Static Control Method?

MsKatieB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
20170902_201009.jpg

So after his first TICA show, Lexus will be trying his luck at a CFA show next weekend. With everyone's help, and an hour-long bath with 7 products, Lexus looked stunning! With the cooler weather, I was told static becomes an issue for coats in the show hall. Can anyone suggest a favorite product or method to control the static? The second question is funny... I was horrified when after almost two days of Lexus behaving like an angel, I watched helplessly as he groomed himself from head to toe while awaiting the judge during a final! How can I avoid a drenched kitty while waiting in the ring??

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm... I've seen people at shows using special sprays that they said helped with static. I don't know the brand or anything, though. :doh:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a time when everyone seemed to use BioGroom anti-static spray, though the last few years I've seen this more often than not:

Perhaps posiepurrs posiepurrs would share her spray of choice?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's odd - it won't allow an Amazon link. The pointer should have been for CoatHandler.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MsKatieB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's odd - it won't allow an Amazon link. The pointer should have been for CoatHandler.
Thank you, I can see the link from Amazon on there, I'll check it out!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I've used Jerob Anti-stat conditioner and it seems to work pretty well. One of my friend just uses plain water, spritzed on the coat lightly for her longhair cat. She just has to make sure she does it far enough in advance so the coat isn't still wet when she gets to the judging ring.

MsKatieB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've used Jerob Anti-stat conditioner and it seems to work pretty well. One of my friend just uses plain water, spritzed on the coat lightly for her longhair cat. She just has to make sure she does it far enough in advance so the coat isn't still wet when she gets to the judging ring.
I have heard of that, but but sure how it works since we go through so much trouble to bathe and blow dry them?

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I use a Sturdicage (made of fabric) for my cats we tend to deal with static. A friend who is a cat groomer and a CFA judge told me to very lightly spritz the inside of the cage with water, just not so much you cat gets wet. I also sometime spritz the comb VERY LIGHTLY with what ever anti static spray I have in my box. I don't really have a brand preference. Wave the comb a little to dry it some so you aren't destroying the fluffed coat when you comb. I never apply any static spray directly to the coat, always the comb or my hands to smooth the coat.

Is it the National Capital Show you are going to? I have friends who will be there but I can't go - have to work.

Last edited:

MsKatieB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since I use a Sturdicage (made of fabric) for my cats we tend to deal with static. A friend who is a cat groomer and a CFA judge told me to very lightly spritz the inside of the cage with water, just not so much you cat gets wet. I also sometime spritz the comb VERY LIGHTLY with what ever anti static spray I have in my box. I don't really have a brand preference. Wave the comb a little to dry it some so you aren't destroying the fluffed coat when you comb. I never apply any static spray directly to the coat, always the comb or my hands to smooth the coat.

Is it the National Capital Show you are going to? I have friends who will be there but I can't go - have to work.
Great advice, thank you! Yes, it is the Capital Show. I'm sorry you have to work, it would be nice to meet you and your beautiful kitties.