Cat shedding her fur profusely in Winter

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are in the midst of winter in Uruguay but my 6 years old cat Sombra sheds a lot of fur. I get two full brushes when I brush her every morning. Could this be caused by the central heating?
IMG_20200703_104901.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the third winter Sombra has lived in my apartment with very warm central heating but I don't remember her shedding so much fur the previous years. . Should I worry about it?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think if everything else is as usual with her, her skin seems normal otherwise and you're taking her for health checkups she is likely fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Furbalismom and Columbine. Yes it is true that she is otherwise as usual. Nothing else has changed not even her imagination to engage in new pranks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Feeby's shedding patterns have changed from time to time, and I don't really know why. Variations in the weather can probably attribute to it - subtle things that impact the heating or air conditioning which we may not pay that close attention to. I guess I have had Feeby long enough (she's 15+ yo) to see these changes and just say 'wow, that is weird'.

If you have filters, you could check those, just in case they need to be changed which could affect the air quality.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine shed all year long, they're indoor and we have central heating, I suspect they are just warm. I wouldn't worry unless you notice a painful or bald patch on them