Cat shedding a lot - Hairball control

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sparrow is a Short Hair Tabby, but he sheds A LOT. He also is a bit of a neat freak, and grooms himself quite a bit too. I brush him every day, but he stills gets hairballs at least twice a month.

The last time was this morning, on the bed, right on my leg, while I was sleeping 

The hairballs are smaller than without the daily brushing, but I still would like to help him if I can. It can't be fun for him to spit these out regularly.

I tried a brushing glove, but that's not working on him. Does wonders on textile though.

I currently use a brush with metal bristles, and I think it's way too hard on his skin. He gets dandruff sometimes which I think comes from the brushing.

I would not like to give him any treats or things like that if I can help it. I was looking at Furminators, but they are really too expensive for me.

Could anyone recommends a good alternative?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
@Lyzzie

My boy January is also DSH Tabby. I brush him every morning and he does groom himself regularly. So far, I don't see any hairballs around.
I use a soft brush on him but I don't use the metal bristle side.
I checked with his vet and she said its normal for him to shed.

This is the brush I use to brush his coat. I brush softly and he likes it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@TabbyTom Thanks. I have a similar brush, it just does not work well. I was OK with one hairball a month, but one a week is a little too much I think. I'm still searching for the best price for a Furminator, so far I have 17€, that's 19.20$.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's what I thought but they do it for short hair cats too! You just have to be careful about the size of the brush. I wouldn't want Sparrow to be bald

I know that shedding is normal. Do you think the extra is because he is now walking me everyday ?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
That's what I thought but they do it for short hair cats too! You just have to be careful about the size of the brush. I wouldn't want Sparrow to be bald :lol3:
I know that shedding is normal. Do you think the extra is because he is now walking me everyday ?
It looks like a flea comb. That means you have to watch the pressure on him.

I don't get you on your last sentence :scratch:

Last edited:

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 I don't get you on your last sentence
I wasn't very clear, sorry about that. We now go on walks, every day for the past couple of weeks. I was wondering if the fact that he was outdoor a lot more might have something to do with the extra shedding.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
There's a cat shedding season and the heat could be involved. But over here, we don't have four seasons and it's summer all year round except for some rainy periods. I vacuum the floor every day or most every two days and at the end is a ball of fur in the vacuum cleaner.
On his pillow, I use a sticky tape to clear his fur. They are not like a lot as in combined together and I guess he sheds the normal amount just like we humans loose some of our hair everyday.

As long as they are not balding, think it's pretty normal.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think so too, I just don't want him to have to spit up hairballs too often if I can help it. He's so spoiled loved, I'm in full DIY mode right now. Cardboard cubes, cardboard scratcher, made him a little cat grass interior garden, planning to actually catify the place with a kitty highway, and making him a hammock. He keeps me busy

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ya, catify the house and diy toys is good. January likes cardboard boxes and shoe boxes. Even tho the shoe box can hardly fit him, he'll hide in there to play peekaboo as if we can't see him :lol3:
I'm collecting bigger cardboard boxes to make him a playhouse. He likes tunnels.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My girls are both short haired and we use the Furminator.  I've had it for quite a few years. Noodles' fur is short but fine and she sheds more than Mooch.  The teeth can be harsh; so short sessions not concentrating on any one area for too long work best.  I have used a flea comb to help get dandruff out too.  

Dandruff can come for different reasons (so can shedding); such as stress, dry air and diet.  Mooch sheds the most after she has gone to the vet.  They almost always have dandruff all of a sudden when we get there too. The vet said it's common.  

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Zelskid Thanks!

@MoochNNoodles I didn't know about the dandruff, that's interesting. I do have a flea comb, maybe I could try to see if he likes it, and if I can get some dandruff out. May I ask which size is your Furminator, and how often do you use it on your cats?

zelskid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honey is so matted, too fat to groom herself, I cut some mats while she is eating.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@MoochNNoodles I didn't know about the dandruff, that's interesting. I do have a flea comb, maybe I could try to see if he likes it, and if I can get some dandruff out. May I ask which size is your Furminator, and how often do you use it on your cats?
I have had mine for quite a while; so I think they have more options now.  Back then i chose one for small dogs because it was a little larger than the cat one.  So it covered more surface area at once.  My girls are good size.  

I really just brush as needed.  If I start seeing hair in my hand after petting them; I know it's time.  If it was stress related; one or two brushing is usually enough.  But every cat is different; so it can really be a trial and error process to find how often you need to brush.  

The fine teeth of the flea comb help grab the dandruff that goes between the bristles with other brushes.  When I'm using the furminator; it seem to get so much off them that the dandruff just comes with it.