Cat Shaking Like He Has Chills

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If he seems that poorly, call the vet and tell them directly that you are afraid that he is dying. Please don't feel as if you have to be able to make a diagnosis yourself or that if your cat improves that the vet will be mad at you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I've spoken to the ER that he went to. I showed them videos of his decline and today and that it seems like he's dying. They told me there's nothing they can do but to make him stable and he is still eating. Which is honestly shocking bc he's so bad and I think he's dying and he will get up and go eat. He's really fighting.

I am trying to get into this ER that's almost 2 hours away that has the capabilities of doing more of the testing he needs to figure out what's up. So I could get help before Wednesday.

One is at full capacity so I just keep trying every 5 or 6 hours. The other said those types of doctors are out today but call 8am tomorrow. So I'm waiting.

I've had cats die before and he's doing everything they did expect he's eating. Which when I tell you it looks like he's dying and then wobbles over to the food bowl it's so bizarre.

He's just shaking and tremoring all the time. Legs are kicking. It's so hard to watch. I'm trying to comfort him. I feel so helpless I was on the phone 3 hours this morning trying to get help but it seems like these ERs around me are about getting stable and then anything else needs to wait with a follow up appointment....and those are booked out by weeks. Since he's eating they tell me not to bring him to the ER again bc they cant do anything. Which I don't know if saw these videos as a doctor with shaking so bad I don't get how it's ok to them. But I'm doing my best for him with what I got. I really hope I can get seen tonight even if it's like 3 AM ill keep trying.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I am there is a great traveling vet that actually does make house calls. Assuming you have explored this route. She actually also does things like herbs & tinctures for your cat, if you choose, which can help in some cases. There are vet colleges that sometimes offer help. Were this cat my sister, I’d say he’s having a seizure, but it seems so strange it goes on for so long. I hope you have friends—- I am kind of concerned for you too. I hope you are getting sleep.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Where I am there is a great traveling vet that actually does make house calls. Assuming you have explored this route. She actually also does things like herbs & tinctures for your cat, if you choose, which can help in some cases. There are vet colleges that sometimes offer help. Were this cat my sister, I’d say he’s having a seizure, but it seems so strange it goes on for so long. I hope you have friends—- I am kind of concerned for you too. I hope you are getting sleep.
Thanks I do have friends and family.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have much to offer, but unless I missed something in all these posts, have you tried to ask about finding an internal med vet/specialty group to consult? I would get copies of all of his records and pursue this avenue. The specialty groups can offer more possibilities than regular vets, or even ER vets, can. There are other tests they can run that might not be done with a regular or ER vet to pick up on deficiencies in his system. Did I also miss someone taking his temp? Anyone look for an ear infection?

Until you can obtain more help, keep his food/water/litter box nearby so that he doesn't have to struggle too much to reach it all. He wants to fight, and I hope you can muster up the strength to fight with/for him.

Oh - forgot - try this for uploading a video on this site. How to upload a video | TheCatSite

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck for you and your kitty! It will get better.

Last edited:

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Just a small thought, if you are still waiting to see a vet…when my vet visits my cat, she dabs the tiniest amt of CBD oil on the tips of her fingers and rubs my cat’s chin and nape. He absolutely adores it and it helps him to relax while she examines him.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have much to offer, but unless I missed something in all these posts, have you tried to ask about finding an internal med vet/specialty group to consult? I would get copies of all of his records and pursue this avenue. The specialty groups can offer more possibilities than regular vets, or even ER vets, can. There are other tests they can run that might not be done with a regular or ER vet to pick up on deficiencies in his system. Did I also miss someone taking his temp? Anyone look for an ear infection?

Until you can obtain more help, keep his food/water/litter box nearby so that he doesn't have to struggle too much to reach it all. He wants to fight, and I hope you can muster up the strength to fight with/for him.

Oh - forgot - try this for uploading a video on this site. How to upload a video | TheCatSite
Hi

I wish I could figure this video thing out but I can't sorry. I really would love some ideas on them. I sent them around to people I know and some said seizures and others chills fever. But no-one knows of course.

So just to kind of sum it up.

He did see an internal medicine once. They found nothing...other than some thicken small intestines lining. The spleen odd shape but Oliver had a rare bacterial infection in the spleen before so it could be scare tissue.

Before the internal medicine I saw a primary where they did needle aspiration of the spleen that came back inconclusive. I thought the Internal medicine would want to do again but he told me by what he read on the pathologist report that he felt they were saying in their coded language it was inconclusive bc really nothing of interest popped up there.

I have another appointment with them but not till Wednesday and with the decline I wanted to get him in somewhere sooner. He was starting to get really bad. I am shocked he's still eating but I think he's really fighting.

I called around to ERs that had capabilities to do testing like this on the spot as the one I took him to the DR that can do that in the ER was not there and not back till Thursday out on vacation. So they not knowing what to do threw a broad spectrum antibiotic at it and pain meds. They told me they don't like to do that but they don't know what to do. She was convinced the shaking is pain. Which is understandable but just seeing it at home all the time feels more like chills, or tremoring due to something else.

So that's the summary.

Last night after the dose of antibiotics I did notice improvement. So I fell asleep and was so tired from all my days of panic just kept sleeping.

Woke up today and he does seem better. Better than this extreme shaking where his whole body is quivering but still doing it. His poster has changed to tail down and he is shaking abit when walking but he's able to walk more than the day before and sems to have more life back in him.
The only thing I can conclude right now there is a correlation between the antibiotic and this. Which is very similar to when he had this bacterial Infection a few years ago.

This is Oliver 2nd mystery Illness where the vets are super baffled by. Some of the vets now even looking at his past records have told me there is no way that bacteria was present in his spleen years ago and they don't agree with that. Which is super frustrating bc he was sick for a long time till I got the right person to see him and say this is what's up and they saved his life with long term antibiotics.

Its complicated I guess and I am probably not doing good describing everything. Its hard in the threads I guess, also I have been all worked up. Trying to figure out what's up. I'm going to take a min this morning after giving his meds and see if I should take him down to this hospital to do these test or if I should wait till internal medicine Wednesday.

In all honesty the internal medicine doctor I saw was very thorough but he didn't really let me talk he just talked the whole time...and I didn't think the best. It seems to be hard where I am to find decent vets for whatever reasons. I am in a different state from when the first time this happened otherwise I would go back to that hospital which is in Brooklyn NY.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope you continue to see some improvement with the antibiotics. Even if all the vets don't agree with the idea of an infection, but the antibiotics help, then at least Oliver can get some relief and that is what counts the most. It will give him a break while they continue to ponder proper testing.

Has anyone considered getting a vet university involved for consult? Those folks see a lot of stuff than many other vets never see in their lifetime of practice. If one of the vets is willing to pursue this, it could be a university anywhere in the country for consultation purposes

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope you continue to see some improvement with the antibiotics. Even if all the vets don't agree with the idea of an infection, but the antibiotics help, then at least Oliver can get some relief and that is what counts the most. It will give him a break while they continue to ponder proper testing.

Has anyone considered getting a vet university involved for consult? Those folks see a lot of stuff than many other vets never see in their lifetime of practice. If one of the vets is willing to pursue this, it could be a university anywhere in the country for consultation purposes
Yessss that's the ER I was going to take him to the University. I have been watching him this morning and decided to wait bc he's got so much more life back to him. Wednesday I have the internal medicine.

Maybe I'll see what the wait is to get into internal medicine at the university. Im guessing its really long.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks I am super frustrated. His appointment is tomorrow morning and I'm really excited but I have this kind of dread bc I don't love the vet. It's really hard to find good care. He saw the shaking videos and said no big deal. I don't get that at all.

They are working from the diagnostics and test which are great but the symptoms are important too. Even though these aren't for sure things. He is still shaking all the time. Even when I give the Metronidazole so if it is pain it never stops. He shakes when he sleeps too. Or eats.

If I feel tomorrow they continue to miss something I'm going to ask for them to fill out a form that will get me into the university. I can't make the appointment myself bc you need a recommendation for the internal medicine. So it's a tough thing to ask them if I can get a 2nd opinion.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry this is so tough to get help. But I am confused about the Metronidazole - as far as I know, it is not for pain.
Sorry meant gabapentin I had a cat recently pass that I was giving metronidazole I'm mixing them up. Too many cat deaths and illnesses lately in my little family it's ripping me a part.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well we had the vet visit today and the Dr barley listened to me. I'm beyond frustrated. They redid the aspiration test of the spleen. That's all he told me he could think to do.

He said the shaking and twitching he should go to a neurologist. I asked if that makes sense bc it is not seizures and he said no its not but I think he doesnt know what to do. I told him I am watching this cat shake 24 hours a day like this can't be normal something is up. I also told him how I really believed he was going to die this weekend and I could just feel the judgment and how he didn't think any of it was a big deal. It makes me feel crazy. Sooo yeah.

I really want to get a 2nd opinion I told him and asked to be referred to this other place. They didn't seem to like that. I kind of lied and said I had a friend there and if he needs the neurologist I want to go there. As a pet owner I don't know how to just say hey the tests are negative and ignore the shaking.

They gave him a sedative to do the test and that did take the shaking away for whatever that is worth but it came back as soon as it started to wear off.

I don't know how much more money I can pour into this and I don't know if I will figure out fast enough to help him bc what do you do if the vets are at a loss. Let's see what the spleen test says but I'm just so beaten down you know.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t blame you, you’ve been hard at it. I’ve been wondering if it’s neurological too, it must have been a slight relief for him to have that sedative. Honestly I do not understand why a vet is a vet if they don’t bother to listen to you. Do you have time or energy to travel further afield to someone more empathetic/less expensive? I know this sounds strange, but could this be grief from missing your other cat? Were they bonded? It sounds as if opiates or things that relax him at least provide a little reprieve, and CBD oil can be calming, and is cheap at pet stores. If you think you can afford a neurologist I’d see one.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don’t blame you, you’ve been hard at it. I’ve been wondering if it’s neurological too, it must have been a slight relief for him to have that sedative. Honestly I do not understand why a vet is a vet if they don’t bother to listen to you. Do you have time or energy to travel further afield to someone more empathetic/less expensive? I know this sounds strange, but could this be grief from missing your other cat? Were they bonded? It sounds as if opiates or things that relax him at least provide a little reprieve, and CBD oil can be calming, and is cheap at pet stores. If you think you can afford a neurologist I’d see one.
It's not strange to suggest the other cat but the shaking is so severe and he's feeling so unwell I cannot just dismiss it as that. As the sedative wears off he got more dumpy again. They were brothers only 8 years old. His brother had a giant cancer mass in his abdomine. Not overly bonded but yeah everyone got a long and hung out with eachother. He didn't display any of these systems till at least a month later. Could he be dying bc he wants to be with him. Maybe but as his owner by what I'm seeing and how he used to be I can't just be like he's sad or depressed bc it doesnt read that to me. I see him fighting to eat and get well..There's too many physical things going on that suggests he's really uncomfortable for it to be more of a depression.

As far as essential oils I'm all for alternative treatments and I seek this type of help in situations when I feel makes sense. I have a lady I speak to that offers this type of work linked with Intuitive healing stuff. I know a community of intuitives in fact and they cannot pinpoint what is up in any sort of way. Toxins is what keeps popping up but for the life of me I dont know what that is. I don't uses toxic stuff not even bleach. I did give a dose of Revolution almost 2 months ago I wonder about bc the feral I take care of decided to walk in before a snow storm. Note This cat was fixed and tested for FIV, worms etc could he have brought in a disease they dont test for i dont know also on my mind. So thank you for those suggestions. I'm going crazy trying to figure out myself. I bought a radon tester that comes Friday and I switched the water to a filtered zero water system.

This is a cat just a few months ago was playing running and leaping though this house. His coat has gotten dumy looking and you can feel his bones more. He used to be silky and plump and naughty. Up on counters wrestling with my other cat for hours. All of that has stopped and he just sits and shakes uncomfortablly. I dont agree with the vet seeing those videos and being able to say that cats ok. I showed them to a friend who is a vet tech and she couldn't even watch bc she could tell how uncomfortable he was.

There has to be something being missed medically. I don't have money at all I'm broke and in debt and have been looking for work honestly but I'm going to put one last visit on my card at a new place for either neurologist or internal vet again. After that, that's it. I don't know how to help him.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Essential oils are toxic to cats and can be fatal. Cats' systems cannot process the oils, no matter what kind. Please do not use EOs with you kitty.