Cat Seriously Sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could you try to boil her some boneless chicken, I also used baby food 2 year to help werun eat. Turkey ham stuff like that.

Also check out the cat food recall just in case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ConorG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got Kitska eating on Saturday and Sunday - whiskas cat food (about 75grams on both Saturday and today). She has also been from drinking a bit of water and cat milk. I brought her to the vets on Saturday and she still had a fever after 24 hours of antibiotics. She has been very active in the morning but then sleeps for rest of evening. Her ears are very hot tonight and not interested in food - so think fever is still there. Will take her back for a temperature check again tomorrow. Vet thinks we should put her down as FELV positive and has low white blood cells so can’t fight infection and thinks we will both be back in there with a new fever… I am not sure and think she has some fighting spirit….

tlco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sure you have Googled FELV but incase not here is some info and prayers:
Diagnosis
If your cat is ill, your veterinarian will first rule out other infections such as bacterial, parasitic, viral or fungal. In addition, nonviral cancers need to be ruled out.

A simple blood test is available to determine whether your cat has FeLV.

Treatment
Unfortunately, 85% of cats with FeLV die within three years of diagnosis.

There is no treatment or cure for feline leukemia. Treatment is directed at symptoms and often includes steroids, blood transfusion and supportive care when necessary. Some medications have shown promise in treating feline leukemia, including antivirals used in human AIDS treatment.

If your cat has no symptoms when she is diagnosed with FeLV, there is no treatment necessary apart from good at-home care.

If your cat is ill, feline leukemia makes it difficult for the cat’s body to respond to treatment. Your veterinarian will prescribe medication to treat the symptoms. Your cat may be hospitalized for severe secondary infections, low red-blood cell count, weight loss with muscle loss, or other symptoms as your veterinarian sees fit. In these cases, he will be kept under hospital care until his condition stabilizes. Emergency treatment, such as blood transfusions, is sometimes required.

Living and Management

You will need to monitor your cat for symptoms of infection and keep in touch with the veterinarian regarding follow-up treatment and testing. Treating minor signs of illness is especially important in a cat with known feline leukemia virus. Due to the virus, her body may be unable to appropriately respond to minor infections and other illnesses.

Cats with feline leukemia virus may have a normal lifespan if other illnesses can be prevented.

Keep FeLV-infected cats indoors and separated from healthy cats to prevent virus exposure and FeLV transmission. Good nutrition is important, as is controlling any secondary bacterial, viral or parasitic infections.

ConorG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took her to the vet earlier and temperature has dropped! 39.4c which is just about within normal range and not a fever. She is lethargic today - but it is quite warm today…. We have been given metacam to give her for next 5 days whilst she recovers..…. This little cat really is using up all her strength and nine lives…..

Attachments

ConorG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So it has only been 4 hours since my last post - I thought with the no fever she would start to eat and drink. Unfortunately not - tried all foods… she just wants to sleep. When she walks as I pick her up to bring her to food - she stumbles on her feet. Not in a good place. I also don’t think I will give her metacam tomorrow as read some bad stuff about it and acute renal/kidney failure - funny enough after 4 days of metacam 3 weeks ago she had renal/kidney failure…

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep in mind, antibiotics mess up the stomach and can cause inappetence. Not saying this is her reason for lack of eating, but it does bother some cats more than others. If she has been eating less for a while now, that can also attribute to weakness. Have you tried canned tuna in water? I forget, did you try the A/D recovery food?

ConorG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I tried canned tuna in water and she licked a bit and moved away. No I have not tried the A/D recovery food :( Looks like can only buy in 26 cans in Europe…

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry. FELV is a horrible disease. I have seen some cats get a little more time with blood transfusions, but that is not without risk and the time was limited. There are some anti viral meds out there. But sadly there is nothing curative.
I am sorry she is so sick.

ConorG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks S silent meowlook FELV is one nasty disease - I never heard of it until she was tested when she got sick 1 month ago. Can’t believe how a healthy cat of about 5 years old has deteriorated so much in 4-5 weeks - it’s shocking and heartbreaking. Wish I had heard of the vaccine before…

ConorG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took Kitska to the Vet again today - temperature back up to fever level and lost more weight now - 3kg. Not a lot of options left as they don’t know what is causing the fever - so antibiotics not working. She has not eaten in over 2.5 days now. Best option they say is Euthanasia now - I am starting to agree. However last chance saloon - getting a second opinion by a different vet tomorrow. The old vet also gave her some drugs so she is comfortable tonight (she is spaced out drinking water). Old vet already sent over all history for her to new vet. Will see new vet tomorrow and determine if we should put her to sleep. But I want the second opinion before doing this. I did get A/D recovery but she won’t eat it unfortunately 😞

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think what you are doing is the best thing in terms of getting a second opinion. Keep us posted, and we are pulling for Kitska and you.

If you feel it is appropriate, talk to either/both vet(s) about a feeding tube - it might help, at least in terms of making her feel better as she goes through what she is going through. The at-home feeding tubes are really not as intimidating as they sound. Many TCS members have had them and find them to be relatively easy once they get the hang of it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing the right thing to get another opinion and I am glad that the old vet is cooperating very quickly with the file. As was mentioned, a feeding tube is not as bad as it sounds and you certainly could get help here from those who have used them.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am truly sorry. FELV is a devastating disease. They can live with it for a while, but when it starts making them sick like this it is miserable without much hope. Like I said before, I have seen blood transfusions buy a little time but it is only temporary and without much hope. I am so sorry.
They can live ok lives being FIV positive, but FELV is completely different.

ConorG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We saw the new vet today who our cat sitter recommended and unfortunately after an analysis of Kitska and previous medical history we had very few options left…. The vet felt there was definitely something else up with Kitska and maybe neurological…. One option was to send Kitska to a University Vet Hospital for deep dive testing etc and figure out what is causing all the fevers other than FELV. The other was we put her on a drip again and the third we euthanise. We chose to euthanise her as she is in terrible pain, couldn’t even look us in the eye the last day.. also did not want to do more tests as she has been in the vet about 10+ times in last month and it has not helped .. We stayed to the end and prayed to St Francis of Assisi with the blessing of animals…. It all happened quickly - she is safe now and out of pain..

A bit about Kitska - she turned up at our backdoor when we moved into our house 3 years ago begging for food. We gave in and fed her - she kept coming back - we gave her a bed out the back she slept under a bush, we built her a little converted cathouse from a dog kennel - she was scared of the house but over time we gradually convinced her the house was safe (it took a lot of time) she then moved in and became a part of our family. We are devastated that she went so soon - only around 5 years young from what we can tell… I never owned a cat or pet before Kitska - she has profoundly changed my views on cats and all animals for the better - she has touched my heart…

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry. But, as you said, she is safe now and out of pain. There is a Crossing the Bridge section on this site, where we can pay a lasting tribute and homage to our lost loved ones. If you want to share more about your little lost one, you can do so there. If you do choose to do so, your last paragraph and all the wonderful pics would be a great start. RIP little Kitska. :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.