Cat Seems To Have Lost Appetite But Still Eating

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My moggy didn't eat for 3 weeks (had to be force fed and then hospitalised) in May, but he recovered. He went blind in July due to unknown reasons, and he started limping on Thursday. We were away on Friday and Saturday, and my friend who came to feed him said he only nibbled at his food while she was there, but the next time she came back to feed him, he'd finished all the food. His usual habit is to finish all the food in one sitting. This morning my mum fed him and he finished the food all in one go. But when I fed him in the early evening, he didn't want to eat. I got anxious and spoon fed him. He kept turning his head away but eventually ate quite a lot of it but didn't touch the rest when I left him alone. About 2 hours later, I gave him his dinner which he didn't want to eat at first, but I put some liquid cat food on top of it (he's on hill science renal diet). He licked off all the liquid cat food but left most of his dinner behind. Then I put some fancy feast tuna into it. He finished everything in one go once he sniffed the tuna. Should I be worried? I'm worried sick because of his anorexia episode in May. Anyway, we have a vet appointment on Tuesday, so we'll bring him in then.
Edit: He threw everything up! He hasn't thrown up in months :(
Edit: We didn't give him his prednisolone on Saturday and today because we're running out of it. Could that have caused him to throw up?

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Is there a way you can talk to your vet? If you dial the office number and listen to the greeting, often they'll provide an after hours number so you can talk to a person.

If not today, definitely tomorrow and tell them everything you wrote in your post.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What was wrong with him for him to be hospitalized and force fed? Renal issues? Why he is on Pred - and for how long?

Whatever caused the previous issues could be recurring - if it wasn't actually resolved.

Also, I am not sure of the side effects of stopping Pred without a gradual weaning from it, but I do know that he should be taken off it slowly, not cold-turkey. So, not having it for two days could likely be presenting some issues of their own.

As Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested, see if you can talk to a vet or vet tech - and make sure you also tell them that you stopped the Pred for the past two days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We never really actually found out what it was as we did blood tests and did an ultrasound of every organ. We found out at the hospital that he has IBD and FIV. He has had kidney issues for the last 5 years but they are under control. He's been on prednisolone for 1 month and 1 week for his blindness- they suspect he has optic neuritis (inflammation of the optic nerve).
I'll call the vet tech right now (they're a 24 hour vet service) and at least get them to give the vet who's going to see him on Tuesday a heads-up.

Hi. What was wrong with him for him to be hospitalized and force fed? Renal issues? Why he is on Pred - and for how long?

Whatever caused the previous issues could be recurring - if it wasn't actually resolved.

Also, I am not sure of the side effects of stopping Pred without a gradual weaning from it, but I do know that he should be taken off it slowly, not cold-turkey. So, not having it for two days could likely be presenting some issues of their own.

As Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested, see if you can talk to a vet or vet tech - and make sure you also tell them that you stopped the Pred for the past two days.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if your cat would have a tendency to eat out of obligation to you - but, that could also have attributed to his throwing up. I have had Feeby eat for me when I am pretty sure she didn't want to really. One time, she did throw up shortly after.

So, next meal time, if he is used to eating the tuna (and that is not what you think caused him to throw up), try that again since it worked before. And, don't try to feed him more frequently than normal, unless you cut down the portion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, it's definitely for his optic neuritis- the ophthalmologist said so. However, it seems to have had a positive effect on his IBD as he hasn't vomited in months except for today.
Are you sure the Pred isn't for his IBD?

e_l_green

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he has IBD, taking him off his prednisone could definitely cause a flare-up and thus throwing up. You should never simply stop administering (or taking) prednisone, because your body "forgets" how to handle inflammation when it's on prednisone, and you can have a flare-up when you abruptly stop. Same applies to cats.

My guess is that the vomiting will cease once you resume the prednisone. At this point I probably wouldn't be too worried, but if vomiting continues after resumption of the prednisone, then start worrying. You'll definitely need to talk to your vet at that point about anti-nausea drugs -- there's multiple anti-nausea drugs that work well in cats, including one that also works as an appetite enhancer.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes to what e_l_green e_l_green said, you never ever stop abruptly on Pred. I wish your vet had told you that. You have to taper off. IBD is definitely helping the IBD issues. Refill that asap and make sure you always have enough to taper off.