Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

wahine01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, thanks for your replies :)

We really can't risk attaching anything to the walls unfortunately. I think the spray is the best option, so far it's kind of working except that the smell gets to me sometimes (particularly when I'm suffering from a migraine, my sense of smell goes through the roof!). I might try switching from an orange spray to a lemon or lavender spray to see if that's more bearable. All of his scratching posts are by the walls, he will actually get on top of them to scratch the wall sometimes though! We've managed to save our bed by putting duct tape all along the bottom so he can't get under there.

I've noticed that it's definitely an attention seeking behaviour, he always looks at us when he's scratching down the walls. The scratches aren't deep, hopefully most of them buff out with a magic eraser foam pad! I think I'll wait until we have moved out in the next year or so and go over all the walls with one... hopefully the landlords won't notice any scratches and we get out bond back! There are some scratches that have exposed wood on the inside of a sliding door (the edge that contacts the door frame), I think I could get away with slapping a coat of paint over that?

Maybe I will try the Feliway diffuser too. Is it something you leave running all the time?

This destructive behaviour has been a bit of a nightmare. I don't think I'd care so much if we owned the house but it's always in the back of my mind that "our" home is really someone else's house. We are hoping to be able to buy next year, I think I'll definitely be more relaxed in a house that we own, although that being said I think next time I adopt an animal it will be an adult - kittens seem to be 40% cute, 60% mischief!

Picasso The Kitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I have a male domestic shorthair kitten who has recently begun scratching the walls. When we took him to the vet (due to a respiratory infection), she said that he needs his nails cut. Doing so can really help, he stopped scratching!!!