Cat scratching wall

Rubicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat won’t stop scratching at one spot on our wall, he has made a small hole in the wall, we just started noticing it and the hole just gets deeper the more he scratches we don’t know what this means or what to do

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try cleaning the wall with an enzyme cleaner. There may be an odor on the wall that is attracting your cat. You can also try to tape some tin foil or a piece of cardboard over the area to discourage the cat from scratching. Do you have scratching posts for your cat? Any stress inducing events in the home recently that is causing this new behavior?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had that. Still haven't fixed the hole, years later, as its in my finished basement. To me, it seemed like it was just a different place to scratch, not much different from the sofa. It might start with a small imperfection in the paint, something the cat can get a scratch on, but however it starts it just then becomes a place to scratch. I'm not often down there, so I couldn't train the behavior away, but it shoudln't be any harder (or easier) to train away than scratching furniture. Since I couldn't train it away, I just moved a piece of furniture to block and that took care of it. Might be the best bet regardless -- they might find somewhere new thats equally problematic, but blocking the scratching spot gives another chance to get the using the posts. Revist your scratching posts and see if another or a different kind might be helpful.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The last time I had a cat do that, it was mice in the wall. Check corners of closets and deep corners of cabinets for droppings. If you don't see them, it is probably not that.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat won’t stop scratching at one spot on our wall, he has made a small hole in the wall, we just started noticing it and the hole just gets deeper the more he scratches we don’t know what this means or what to do
Sounds like you need a tall square scratcher or vertical. Cats love to stretch. Corrugated last longer than cardboard and some do not like sisal

Fluffnugget

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The last time I had a cat do that, it was mice in the wall. Check corners of closets and deep corners of cabinets for droppings. If you don't see them, it is probably not that.
That was the issue when mine was doing it I think. Drove me nuts. I could hear them myself during the winter so I'm sure she was trying to get to them too. Thankfully they seem to have vacated for the summer.