Cat scratching face like crazy

furbulousbunz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello guys,
I adopted a cat in August, she had scratching issues of her ears and above her eyes mentioned on her vet papers she came with. They had her on some drugs for it and a couple weeks after me having her she's gone back to scratching. I have nail caps on her back toes to help her not tear herself up, but the areas are still so red and irritated. I've gotten her a e collar to help keep her from scratching the raw areas. It helps, but then she gets so stinky from not being able to clean herself (especially being a long hair, ya know...after using the litter box isn't always pretty down there).

It was mentioned she might be allergic to chicken but I've not been feeding her chicken.

Does anyone have any experience with a scratchy cat like this and something to help?

Or should I just give in and go to the vet and get more drugs?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Food allergies / sensitivities can be caused by all sorts of things, not just chicken or other common ingredients. cheeser cheeser 's cat has food sensitivities to a whole library of ingredients.

Environmental allergies could be a possibility. Dusty or fragranced litter, perfumes, air fresheners, pollen, etc

A trip to the vet is definitely needed. Make sure the vet does a full exam and blood work. Bring the vet papers with you. Have the vet check for parasites like fleas which can cause itchiness and allergic reactions. A veterinary dermatologist maybe more helpful than a regular vet. There are allergy tests a vet can do.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello guys,
I adopted a cat in August, she had scratching issues of her ears and above her eyes mentioned on her vet papers she came with. They had her on some drugs for it and a couple weeks after me having her she's gone back to scratching. I have nail caps on her back toes to help her not tear herself up, but the areas are still so red and irritated. I've gotten her a e collar to help keep her from scratching the raw areas. It helps, but then she gets so stinky from not being able to clean herself (especially being a long hair, ya know...after using the litter box isn't always pretty down there).

It was mentioned she might be allergic to chicken but I've not been feeding her chicken.

Does anyone have any experience with a scratchy cat like this and something to help?

Ailish got very scratchy around her neck about 6 months after I got her. She had raised red bumps. Took her to the vet and after two courses of antibiotics she was fine and has been for several years. They checked for both fleas and ringworm, neither of which were the problem. I did an elimination diet very strictly after this episode and after I introduced everything back to her diet nothing came back. I did eliminate fabric softener from any of "her" linens. She clearly did not come with the problem, so it was something she contacted at my house. After several years I am now battling a rashy thing on her inner though. The thing is, it doesn't seem to bother her in the least. Again, no fleas or ringworm. Don't know if it is the same or not.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello guys,

I got this online
It could simply be dust or a medical condition so she would need blood work

Last edited: