Cat Scratching Carpet

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. While I figured out how to prevent Isabelle from scratching the carpet in front of the door separating the upstairs and downstairs by placing a doormat there as she scratches on that instead, Katrina has been using the carpet for scratching. This is Katrina's first time with carpet, and it is anywhere, not just one spot. I could not bring any of the cats scratching posts here from my place yet, but my mom is letting me borrow extra cat furniture from her cat. So, a tall sisal post and a carpet covered round tallish cat furniture with 2 cubby holes, but it seems to be worn as Katrina has tried scratching on it and her nails do not catch. There are also multiple cardboard scratchers laying on the floor.

I bought a Dream Curl scratcher, which is mostly a carpet material, and a scratch and relax mat, which has a small portion carpet like materiel.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/t-2644820
SmartyKat Scratch 'N Relax Mat and Lounge Cat Scratcher - Chewy.com

Katrina is not using any of these. What are some suggestions for inexpensive carpet scratchers that your cats have liked? Many posts are short, which is why I am hesitant to buy a cat scratching post.

I'm also looking into buying carpet samples to try. The samples seem to be $1 for a 8x8 inch piece. My mom is looking to see if she has information on the type of carpet it might be. If she finds it, I will look for a similar style. Although, the patches are small, so is there an easy way to attach multiple pieces? Any inexpensive rugs that can be recommended that may work, too? Thanks for any help!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had one cat that refused all scratchers, but adored cheap carpet remnants that I just threw around randomly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one cat that refused all scratchers, but adored cheap carpet remnants that I just threw around randomly.
Would you have any recommendations on carpet styles to try?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Something with a low pile on it. And remember...half of cats scratching is STREEEEEEETCHING their muscles, so any scratcher needs to be large enough to allow them to stretch out!

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And remember...half of cats scratching is STREEEEEEETCHING their muscles, so any scratcher needs to be large enough to allow them to stretch out!
Yes, that is why I am hesitant to buy a carpet scratching post. Most scratching posts are short and the tall one I have is all sisal and 33.5 inches tall, but haven't found a carpet one anywhere near close to that tall. Thanks for the suggestion for the low pile style.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finally resorted to getting a fairly long remnant (about 3 feet), poking holes in two corners, threading a stout piece of twine through them, and hanging the whole thing from the wall. Worked like a charm!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats like pet fusion loungers. Expensive but they are used the most. They like curogated card board loungers more than their tall square shaped sisal. They have never used the sisal mat on the floor but do use flat or vertical mats made out of curogated cardboard

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I finally resorted to getting a fairly long remnant (about 3 feet), poking holes in two corners, threading a stout piece of twine through them, and hanging the whole thing from the wall. Worked like a charm!
Do you have a picture of that? I’d love to see what it looks like! Thanks, great idea by the way 😉

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Alas, that was long ago, and those pictures died in house fire. Hekitty, I'm happy to say, uses her scratcher. And the chair. And the sofa. And anything else that catches her attention at any given moment.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hekitty, I'm happy to say, uses her scratcher. And the chair. And the sofa. And anything else that catches her attention at any given moment.
This reminds me when Katrina was on the enclosed deck yesterday. She started liking to scratch on the wicker furniture! Oh my gosh! Don't damage my mom's outdoor furniture! haha, but she won't touch a cheap $10 carpet floor scratcher I bought off Amazon and arrived this week. She so silly!

Have any good ways to get a cat to try scratching on something new? Isabelle was easy, I would run her front paws over a material and she instinctively scratched. This does not work with neither of the kittens. Tried to play with a string, too, and just pick Katrina up and place her on something, like a cardboard scratcher when she scratches the rug.