Cat Scratches And Ends Up With Wounds

Kitty mom 98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My five month kitten has been scratching her face a lot I noticed five minutes ago she matare to wound her self and is bleeding I attempted to give her Benadryl but she didn’t really take that all well I was wondering if anyone knew what could be causing her to do this

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitty mom 98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has scratched so much she has a bald spot now i will be taking her to the vet but over night I’m not sure what to do to stop her from continuing to scratch

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be ring worm if there is a bald patch. It will result in more and more bald patches quickly if that is it. It can spread to you too. It can be cured with athlete's foot creme. It can be from allergies to certain foods, but she would itch all over. Ear mites can be cured with a couple of the topical flea medications in one shot, pricey, but worth it. Multi advantage and Revolution are two if I remember right. For now apply some triple antibiotic and see if that will sooth the spots some. Could she have fleas? Turn her over and look closely at where her back legs join her body. The hair is much thinner there and fleas are easier to see.

LeniGish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
itching: diluted acv (apple cider vinegar) should be completely non-toxic.
Never put anything on or in your cat when somebody tells you. Look up toxicity first. Even experts sometimes say the wrong thing.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I totally agree with L LeniGish . A vet visit is important to narrow down and treat. It's always good to know what's really going on. It could be allergies, fleas (if you find out there are any), food allergies, ringworm or something else.

The Apple cider vinegar diluted sounds like a nice temp help while you get answers. Triple antibiotic cream they can have an allergic reaction. It's best to not go there. Lamisil is usually only used by a pill as prescribed and directed from your vet if it's ringworm. Basically you don't want to apply anything the cat can lick off without vet approval. I'm even leary about no rinse shampoos for cats especially since I still see things with lavender and tea tree oils being used on cats. I've used a spray approved by my vet for clearing up scratch wounds and even find myself using an improvised cone to avoid kitty from ingesting it. It's approved but I feel safer knowing my cat can't lick it.

Last edited: