Cat scratch with bruising

plehemos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure if this belongs here.[couldn't find a more proper section.]

My friend has a cat that recently scratched them on the top of their hand causing bruising around the injured spot. There seems be a little puss buildup now and I am starting to worry a little.[though this and the bruise could have been caused by scrubbing the area after the scratch]

My friend doesn't want to go have it checked out keeps saying its nothing and will be fine as their are no symptoms to cat scratch disease such as:
* painful or swollen glands, especially under the armpits
* flu-like symptoms including headache, lethargy, decreased appetite, fatigue, joint pain, or fever or body rash.

The only odd thing realy is the puss, any advice at what I should do?[This same cat scratched me before but not as deep as mine was only light scarring as opposed to the claw getting stuck near my friend's vein.

michelle mayall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi, i would get your friend to get it checked out, if there is puss there then there is infection it needs to be cleaned with sterile water and a non aderhernt dressing applied secured with a bandage or tape she may need some antibiotics and a tetnus shot if she hasnt had one in the last 10 years.
hopefully this is of some help im not a qualified nurse but have worked within a hospital setting for 4 years
michelle x

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Keep it open. Soaking it in hot water will help draw out the pus and open the wound. Then I use betadine or other antibacterial to clean it out really well. But keeping it open to prevent an abcess is the major point.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tell your friend that she should get it checked out now before additional symptoms start to develop. Maybe she will be lucky enough that it is only a minor infection, but she shouldn't wait to see if it gets worse.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree to the cleaning suggested above. Having said that, keep a close eye on it - our Simba bit our daughter when we were trying to catch him to isolate him in one room (not his fault - he thought he was fighting for his life). She ended up getting blood poisoning (she had a red streak up her arm) and had to go to the doctor for antibiotics.

Simba bit both my husband and I as well during this same episode where we were trying to catch him and neither he nor I had any issues - just our daughter.

cotton630

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, i would get your friend to get it checked out, if there is puss there then there is infection it needs to be cleaned with sterile water and a non aderhernt dressing applied secured with a bandage or tape she may need some antibiotics and a tetnus shot if she hasnt had one in the last 10 years.

hopefully this is of some help im not a qualified nurse but have worked within a hospital setting for 4 years

michelle x

cotton630

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I have the same problem for scratch a couple days ago by my cat and woke up this morning and there was a bruise around it with some redness also very tired but no fever and my appetite is normal please advise me what to do will I need to be in hospital or take so antibiotics