Cat scooting

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my cat has been scooting her butt the last several days. She just got over a bout of cystitis a few weeks ago and we started her on amytriptylline for anxiety. Along with that I was concerned about constipation.so the vet said I could give 1/8 tsp miralax daily. After the first dose her poop was formed but loose so I have only been giving it once a day. Her poop has been going between formed soft to formed loose and soft serve. She has only been on the new meds four days. So I called vet to ask about the scooting because I thought maybe it was because her poop wasn't quite normal. They said I could put neosporin with hydrocortisone on her butt to help.with itch. The neosporin I have doesn't have hydrocortisone in it. Do they sell that??? Also I forgot to ask.how.often to.put it on if she will.let me. Anyone else use neosporin on their cats bum? Also I was going to go.to 1/8 tsp miralax every other day to see if that helped her stools be more formed soft. Anyone do that with miralax??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my cat has been scooting her butt the last several days. She just got over a bout of cystitis a few weeks ago and we started her on amytriptylline for anxiety. Along with that I was concerned about constipation.so the vet said I could give 1/8 tsp miralax daily. After the first dose her poop was formed but loose so I have only been giving it once a day. Her poop has been going between formed soft to formed loose and soft serve. She has only been on the new meds four days. So I called vet to ask about the scooting because I thought maybe it was because her poop wasn't quite normal. They said I could put neosporin with hydrocortisone on her butt to help.with itch. The neosporin I have doesn't have hydrocortisone in it. Do they sell that??? Also I forgot to ask.how.often to.put it on if she will.let me. Anyone else use neosporin on their cats bum? Also I was going to go.to 1/8 tsp miralax every other day to see if that helped her stools be more formed soft. Anyone do that with miralax??
Or should I half the 1/8 dosage and still do daily? She just had a formed soft poop which is about her normal.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I doubt sincerely she needs some sort of medication to put on her butt from itching. Loose or soft stools can make a cat feel like there is 'stuff' left on their behind, and so they scoot to remove anything left. All kinds of routines are used when administering Miralax, so yes I would try 1/8 tsp every other day and see what happens. The worse case scenario is that her stool gets a bit too hard, and then you do a daily dose for a day or two. It could be that you need to do every other day, and then two days in a row, and then back to every other day. All cats are different, so experimenting is your best bet. If you are monitoring her closely enough, and it sounds like you are, she isn't going to get constipated to the point of concern.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I doubt sincerely she needs some sort of medication to put on her butt from itching. Loose or soft stools can make a cat feel like there is 'stuff' left on their behind, and so they scoot to remove anything left. All kinds of routines are used when administering Miralax, so yes I would try 1/8 tsp every other day and see what happens. The worse case scenario is that her stool gets a bit too hard, and then you do a daily dose for a day or two. It could be that you need to do every other day, and then two days in a row, and then back to every other day. All cats are different, so experimenting is your best bet. If you are monitoring her closely enough, and it sounds like you are, she isn't going to get constipated to the point of concern.
Okay thank you. I think I am overthinking this but she has had so many issues that I worry about little things now. Im.think I'll skip tonight's dose and see what she does tomorrow. Ideally she wouldn't need the miralax but still in the early stages of the amytriptylline so don't really know the effects yet. Plus we are also making changes to her diet by adding more wet food and trying to decrease the dry to just overnight so she isn't getting as much of the high fiber royal canin dry food but is hopefully getting more water with increasing the wet.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she keeps scooting, you might want to ask the vet for a quick appointment to check her anal glands and manually empty them if they think it's necessary. In some cats (like my cat), the glands can get backed up even when they have regular, good stools. My cat would lick her butt a lot when her glands get backed up, instead of scooting. It's no fun for the cat to get her glands expressed, and my cat HATES it, but sometimes it can get infected and that's no good either. Good luck!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Boone is a scooter but his anal glands are fine. He's got some junk in the trunk so maybe he feels like he needs a good wiping.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Boone is a scooter but his anal glands are fine. He's got some junk in the trunk so maybe he feels like he needs a good wiping.
I thought maybe the glands were the issue. I looked back there yesterday and it didn't look red. I took a wipe and cleaned as best I could, well as much as she would.let me. I'm hoping once we get her poops regular looking with this new medication and the miralax and new foods the scooting will stop. She doesn't do it all the time. I just noticed once a day for about three days. Fingers crossed. We only take her to the vet when it's absolutely necessary as she has anxiety and gets super upset and has to be sedated. She has started getting cystitis due to stress they think. Hence why she's we started amytriptylline. :(

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
So I've been giving presley about 1/16 of a tsp of miralax daily. She had about two days without scooting and pooped once a day nothing unusual about them. Today she had a formed stool. Not one long one but several nuggets and a longer one. I squished them in the bag and they were easily squished and soft. She came upstairs after using the litterbox and I noticed liquid poop on her backend fur which I had to clean off and she's scooting again . I'm confused do you think this means I am giving too much miralax? Why would it be formed then liquid at the end?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does Presley have a propensity toward constipation normally, or were you just wanting to give her MIralax due to the amytriptylline potentially causing constipation as one of its side effects? Having some loose stool at the end of BM could be either the start of constipation or the reverse, but since the rest of her stool was soft, I would go with the possibility of too much Miralax. I assume the butt scooting is due to the loose stool? When she was but scooting before, what was her stool like?

If she doesn't have a propensity toward constipation, then either skip a day of Miralax, or lessen the dose even more and see what happens. The other thing to keep an eye on is her urinating. Another potential side effect of amytriptylline is urine retention. So, make sure you watch her to ensure she is peeing normally.

Last edited:

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does Presley have a propensity toward constipation normally, or were you just wanting to give her MIralax due to the amytriptylline potentially causing constipation as one of its side effects? Having some loose stool and the end of BM could be either the start of constipation or the reverse, but since the rest of her stool was soft, I would go with the possibility of too much Miralax. I assume the butt scooting is due to the loose stool? When she was but scooting before, what was her stool like?

If she doesn't have a propensity toward constipation, then either skip a day of Miralax, or lessen the dose even more and see what happens. The other thing to keep an eye on is her urinating. Another potential side effect of amytriptylline is urine retention. So, make sure you watch her to ensure she is peeing normally.
She only had one bad episode of constipation following the use of buprinorphone. It was terrible, she had to have enemas and they started her on the royal canin gi fiber food. Before that she never was constipated. So when they prescribed the amytriptylline I asked the vet about constipation because it's a known side effect and I didn't want a repeat. Also they gave her hills cd urine stress dry food and hills cd urine food so I have been decreasing the royal canin fiber dry(giving 3tbsp 1/2 royal canin and 1/2 hills dry urine stress at night) and increasing her wet food to get more water in her diet. She's not enthusiastic about the hills wet food so I have been mixing it with tiki cat mousse. I do think the scooting is due to her feeling like something is on her butt. So far her urinating has been okay. She goes about 3 times per day between golf ball and tennis ball size. I also have her on dmannose, cornsilk and cystease. Just didn't know if it was too much miralax or the start of constipation but the stool was squishy.