Cat Scared Of Me And Stressed All Of A Sudden?

i.amtris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, i have a kitten named Suzy and she is turning 4 months old in two days. She has been with me since she was 2 months old. She is a very playful cat and very energetic but somehow now she seems down and sad. I play with her at least twice in a day with cat toys but when I'm not playing with her, she doesnt do anything. Sometimes she meows at me to get my attention and to play with her but I can't at that moment because I'm working. It seems like she can't play by herself anymore like she used to. It's not because there is no physical stimulation for her, there are plenty of cat toys i bought for her and she used to love them like crazy but now she wont even touch them. Also she used to come to my lap for cuddles and to sleep and she loved it, she would purr non stop. But now she won't come unless you pick her up. Now she usually sleeps in the same room as me or a completely different one. It feels like she is isolating herself a little. I stopped picking her up so it doesn't become a habit but it doesnt seem to be changing anything. Also when i play fetch with her she gets scared all of a sudden and the only thing i did was sit down to pick the ball up from the ground. She doesn't seem herself anymore. I'm trying to find out what's going on with her, we recently changed the furniture and her litter box and there is this huge unbearable heat where I live that made her a little stressed (she would pant after like 5 minutes of play time) and that's the only thing that comes to mind that might have made her like this. It's worrying me a lot because she is just a kitten, she should be playing a lot, but instead she sleeps more than she did.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my opinion, a vet check is in order! I know that it is both inconvenient and an extra expense but she may have physical pain or general malaise. Is it possible that she has eaten a string or something chemical? Is her cat litter unscented/fragrance free? The panting can be an important clue - if it is the heat, you can offer her some unflavored Pedialyte in water to keep her electrolytes balanced. However, it could be heart or lung related. Her clinginess is a sign that she wants comfort and I would give it to her whenever possible.
If the vet gives Suzy the all-clear, her skittishness might be simply situational and we can try to help offer tips.
Please keep us updated!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you changed the furniture and the litterbox, she could definitely be stressed, which would account for her being skittish. Cats definitely sleep more in the heat. The heat would explain why she wouldn't want to play so much now, it can reduce the appetite too. The other things like not wanting on your lap so much, etc. could be explained by she is getting older and cats around 6 months start to get more independent, especially females. Is she spayed? If not I would discuss with my vet about doing so, her hormones could be kicking in too, which explains changes in behavior too. They can check her out, give vaccinations if due and spay all in one visit. A vet visit may be in order for peace of mind. Please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

i.amtris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my opinion, a vet check is in order! I know that it is both inconvenient and an extra expense but she may have physical pain or general malaise. Is it possible that she has eaten a string or something chemical? Is her cat litter unscented/fragrance free? The panting can be an important clue - if it is the heat
Please keep us updated!
yes! I thought about it, i already made an appointment for her since she also scratches her ear a lot nowadays, my vet told me to do a check up every now and then, I hope it's nothing. And no her litter has a small fragrance, the first one she had was also with fragrance but not as much as this one. I will keep you posted as soon as I know, thank you so much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

i.amtris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she spayed? If not I would discuss with my vet about doing so, her hormones could be kicking in too, which explains changes in behavior too. They can check her out, give vaccinations if due and spay all in one visit. A vet visit may be in order for peace of mind. Please keep us posted!
Not yet, the vet told me they were going to start doing annalysis and to see if everything is okay between November and December! She will be spayed in that time. I'm going there next week to hear their opinion about this! Thank you so much!

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten was a bit like that when he had a tummy bug, glad you are seeing a vet.
I believe she could go into heat fairly soon, and her behaviour could change a lot and become a very determined escape artist (I recently ended up adopting a young pregnant cat from a neighbour, as they had put off spaying her and the inevitable happened. Her kittens were spayed at 11weeks old and absolutely bounced back from the operation.