Cat Scared Of Kitchen

LindsayM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm new. I have a 1 year old 1/2 Maine Coon boy named Frankie. He's 25 lbs of love and a little nuts lol. Well the thing is, I had a rental refrigerator delivered yesterday until my new one comes in a few weeks and now I can't get him to come downstairs. The kitchen is at the end of the stairs on the right as you're going down the stairs. My other 2 cats are girls and they're not having any issues. I should add that he is scared of most things lol.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd put on a back brace, pick him up, and carry him downstairs to show him that the delivery men are gone, and that the new box has food in it.

;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LindsayM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did minus the back brace :lol: but he freaked out and I got pretty scratched up.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did minus the back brace :lol: but he freaked out and I got pretty scratched up.
Just goes to prove the old adage, "never take advice from a man with ten cats."

Edit: I'll bet everyone here would like to see a picture of Frankie. Twenty-five pounds at eighteen months, in a breed known for not maturing completely until around five years could make for a Very Large Cat. I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours!

Bob - my 34 pounds and change Norwegian Forest Cat (pictured next to a cat of typical proportions):

bob_scottiecat.jpg

Last edited:

LindsayM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just goes to prove the old adage, "never take advice from a man with ten cats."

Hahaha. Have you ever had this happen? I'm honestly not sure what to do. I'm mainly worried because he hasn't come down even to eat.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please see my edit in the previous post.

No - not in any of the Giant Breeds, anyway. My (late) monster Maine Coon Cat would never stray too far from the kitchen for fear of missing a snack. I wonder if it might be the refrigerator itself, putting out a subsonic note (below 25HZ for cats) that's got him spooked?

LindsayM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please see my edit in the previous post.

No - not in any of the Giant Breeds, anyway. My (late) monster Maine Coon Cat would never stray too far from the kitchen for fear of missing a snack. I wonder if it might be the refrigerator itself, putting out a subsonic note (below 25HZ for cats) that's got him spooked?
I was wondering that. Maybe it's making some noise the dying fridge never did. Here's a picture of Frankie in my clean laundry. By the way, your giant is adorable. View media item 419367

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My bet would be it was the delivery person coming in with a great big box that spooked him, not the fridge itself. Just leave him be for a day, he will likely calm down if not forced, and will explore the kitchen when he is ready. At 25 pounds, he is likely going to go looking for his food in short order.

LindsayM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I shouldn't worry? I'm part Italian. I was born worrying rofl. I figured also maybe moving the food and water upstairs then move it back down slowly.

LindsayM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ditto here on the part Italian. I wouldn't move his food and water upstairs yet, you want to give him some motivation to come downstairs. I would wait till tomorrow at least.
Good point. I was thinking it might encourage him to stay upstairs and I don't want to do that. I want him to go back to trying to sit on my shoulder. :crackup:

LindsayM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Frankie has been coming down stairs, but he's walking all low and stuff, checking to make sure the refrigerator isn't going to eat him hahaha. He does come eat, so that's good. I love that big lug. :crackup:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I had faith that the potential of food would get him down. I live with a fraidy cat too - anything new, any visitors, any big boxes or packages plus a zillion other things will send her running. We just ignore it and she eventually decides to come out.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: Frankie has been coming down stairs, but he's walking all low and stuff, checking to make sure the refrigerator isn't going to eat him hahaha. He does come eat, so that's good. I love that big lug. :crackup:
Pretty soon he'll be giving it a good punch with his paw, and when the fridge doesn't hit him back, all will be well again.
:cool2: