Cat Scared Of Fly Swatter.

tee-tee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weird. I had to kill a fly and when I started swatting away, my cat flipped out and flew into the other room.

Why would a cat be afraid of a fly swatter?

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Imagine if a strange, flappy object appeared seemingly out of nowhere and was suddenly waving around with no discernible pattern or reason why it started happening!! Wouldn't you flip out? :lol: Kitty doesn't make the connection of fly = fly swatter.

One of my cats loses his mind anytime something new is on the floor...I neglected to pick up a pair of boxers off the bathroom floor, and their "sudden" appearance caused Keegan to run so quickly that he slipped on the linoleum and crashed into the door. Have you seen the videos of people putting cucumbers behind cats?

Cats are weird :flail:

Korinmewmew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's funny because my kitten knows what a fly swatter is for. When she see's a fly she will make this chirping noise at me, she will look at me then the fly, I swat the fly and she proceeds to eat the fly :barf:

She does this every time she finds a fly.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Korinmewmew, how about letting her chase the fly for a bit, then you swat it, secretly dispose of the dead fly, and give her a little treat after the Hunt?

fly-swatter.gif

Flies can carry eggs of parasitic worms, and also have a lot of bacteria on them. You just never know what little kittens can pick up!

Korinmewmew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Korinmewmew, how about letting her chase the fly for a bit, then you swat it, secretly dispose of the dead fly, and give her a little treat after the Hunt?

View attachment 191374

Flies can carry eggs of parasitic worms, and also have a lot of bacteria on them. You just never know what little kittens can pick up!
Yes, she chases them around, it is when she can't reach them then she chirps at me.

I read somewhere that it's ok for cats to eat them, if I can stop her in time I will stop her from eating them for now on. Thanks for the info.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I'd just mention it. Cats have so much fun chasing flies! :)

ihave4cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weird. I had to kill a fly and when I started swatting away, my cat flipped out and flew into the other room.

Why would a cat be afraid of a fly swatter?
One of my cats is extremely afraid of the fly swatter. As soon as she sees me get it and hold it in my hand, she runs out of the room and into the bedroom and hides under the bed. I know the reason for this as well, as when it happened I saw.

When she was about 4 years old, I got the swatter and hit a fly on the table when she was looking at me. It made a certain sound against the wood. She ran out of the room and into the bedroom. I laughed and though whoops, sorry, didn´t mean to scare you.

Only about 1 year later did I have to get the fly swatter again, and as soon as she saw me holding it, she was quickly gone into the bedroom. I realized then I scarred my cat for life lol

My guess is something like that happened to you also without you realizing it, one incident made her never forget "The Swatter"