Cat Sanctuary?

pdorian1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that I love and have had for about 10 years. He has been increasingly aggressive and literally has attacked and hurt people. I have tried E V E R Y T H I N G. The time has come for me to consider a cat sanctuary but the ones I have seen that take all cats with issues cost around 5k. Is that everyone else's experience? I'm in Southern California. Thank you!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm really sorry to hear that your cat has developed such severe aggression. This doesn't happen often but when it does, it's so heartbreaking. :hugs: My hat is off to you for looking for a place where he can safely live out the rest of his days.

Although I don't know that much about the cost of finding a cat sanctuary with a rescue, I do know that the reputable ones tend to be expensive, even when a cat is free of any adverse issues. Five thousand dollars does sound a bit high to me but it probably varies from location to location.

You said you'd tried everything, which means you are probably tired of people saying, "Yeah, but have you tried this..." so I'll try to word this a bit differently. What has been your experience with medication? Sometimes it can take awhile to find the right one but when you do, it's amazing what a difference it can make.

Hopefully, someone with actual experience in the policies and prices of rescue groups in Southern California will chime in but in the meantime, I did find this: http://cat.rescueshelter.com/California. It's just a list but perhaps it includes one or two you've not spoken to yet.

I wish I could be more help. Best of luck - I so hope you find a place for your boy.:crossfingers:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, have you tried medication? Has anything changed in his environment?

It must be heartbreaking to part with a cat you have loved for 10 years! :(

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried calling the Sox project? They may have some suggestions and probably will know what rates are for surrender into "no kills". $5,000 sounds really high but I can understand because of the way people happily dump off their problems onto others, anyone trying to run a sanctuary will be deluged with selfish people who won't do the right thing (i.e. keep dying Grandma's cat or the kittens from the cat that they didn't bother to get spayed) - which complicates things for cats with legitimate situations that need specialized care. Please keep us posted on how your situation goes!