Cat safe paint for carrier

wrenka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How would one safely recolor a cat carrier where it is safe for the cat? I want to paint my cat's carrier to pink and white, but I'm worried about it's toxicity. Would it be a better idea to spray paint it and use a pet-safe kind of setting spray afterwards to coat it?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
What's the cat carrier made of?

Anything wooden can be painted with stains suitable for livestock. You need to check the labels for something like "Stable proof" or "Barn proof". Not sure how they would phrase that where you are.

Metal can be spray painted, but you will need to clean the metal thoroughly and sand off as much of the existing coating as possible in order to get the spray paint to adhere properly.

Plastic is more difficult. I wouldn't recommend trying to paint anything plastic as the paint will inevitably chip off.

It might be better to just buy her a new carrier. They do Hello Kitty ones

1674527170484.png

1674527210788.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrenka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What's the cat carrier made of?

Anything wooden can be painted with stains suitable for livestock. You need to check the labels for something like "Stable proof" or "Barn proof". Not sure how they would phrase that where you are.

Metal can be spray painted, but you will need to clean the metal thoroughly and sand off as much of the existing coating as possible in order to get the spray paint to adhere properly.

Plastic is more difficult. I wouldn't recommend trying to paint anything plastic as the paint will inevitably chip off.

It might be better to just buy her a new carrier. They do Hello Kitty ones

View attachment 441921

View attachment 441922
;
Thank you so much! You're probably right, I just can't seem to find any hard plastic carriers of the color I want which ship locally to me, only mesh.. I prefer the hard plastic rather than mesh because I'm always paranoid that in some crazy scenario we could be walking in the woods and she could tear through it and run away, I will keep looking for something like you posted , if worse comes to worse maybe something like dying a white plastic carrier could work somehow like how people do with dying the skin of custom dolls.. :think:
Her old carrier was grey, but I hot-glued a pillow case over the top which had a water-proof stamp at the top with my contact info just in case something happened like I was kidnapped and someone found her in it on the road or something so maybe something like that could also do the job

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
wrenka wrenka I've always labeled mine with Sharpie. I'm sure it would need aired out if you coloured the whole thing but it could be an option.

There's pet safe spray paints in some areas that you can use too. Pet safe paint.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrenka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for replying! I decided to look into the plastic spray paint option and ran across this line, which is pet safe as far as I can tell ( will read more ) but overpriced online; so I will be looking for other plastic to buy some. People use it to paint over PC's and headphones and such so I'm very curious; her carrier is a little bit textured though, so I'm not fully sure how well it will work.. Gonna see how it works on similar stuff on youtube or something later

I'm really trying to avoid purchasing a new carrier; and re-use her old one for sustainability purposes :think:

Sharpies are definitely a good suggestion too for labeling it, I think I will make her label white in sharpie this time rather than the pillow case idea as it can fall off sometimes and is overall annoying to handle :lol: