Cat-safe glue?

mikehong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girlfriend and I are building a cat tree and I was wondering if anyone knows of wood glues that won't give off fumes that are harmful to cats. Most pieces will be screwed together but some will require glue.

Also, what about hot glue? I was thinking of using it when wrapping sisal around posts. Would that stuff be safe?

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would think that something like Elmer's wood glue would be ok once dry.

Im not sure that hot glue would stick.. it peels off easily.

I know that Gorilla Glue is NOT safe, so stay away from that one!

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we made a cat tree and we used no more nails, it is a glue by LePage. we used it to put the carpet around the posts. we clamped the carpet on for 24 hours to make sure that everything was good and dry and i didn't notice a smell at all. for the sisal part we just used long staples and a staple gun. we didn't want to glue it on because we didn't figure it would stay at all. i completely agree about the hot glue peeling off. we just used long staples and stapled it on the bottom in the back and wrapped it as tight as we could and then stapled it at the end. we had to use 2 pieces so there are a few staples in the middle on the back, but the cats don't scratch there. there are also a few right at the top at the back, but again the cats don't scratch there.

good luck getting it all done!! this is the 4th tree we have made for our guys. our designs get better each time, one day maybe it will be nice enough to put in the living room!
haha!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My hubby used wood glue on both the carpeting and the sisal rope. Once it's dry, I don't foresee any problems.

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Elmer's wood glue will do fine. No fumes, wet glue can be cleaned up with water, and it's strong.

For a stronger bond, try ProBond or TiteBond (at home depot & most hardware stores).

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
teh danger with gorilla glue is that it expands as it dries... so when an animal eats it, it expands in the digestive tract, and causes a blockage.

Its not actually toxic tho.