Cat Safe Cleaning Products

Gizmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now I'm kind of in a tough situation regarding cat safe cleaning products.
First off, we have two small dogs who unfortunately are not neutered and were not properly potty trained at a young age.. We got them when I was 6 and 7 years old, so of course I did not know then what I know now, but if I did this would have been fixed a long time ago. (Regarding them not being neutered, at this point they're already 6 years old and my mom will not want to be paying vet bills)
So as you might expect, there's a lot of dog pee. I would love to get them trained, but again my mom is stubborn with these types of things and would probably just say it wouldn't work..
Now, back to the cleaning part. My mom and I are cleaning dog pee up from the carpet and hard wood floors practically all day every day. And she's using a bleach concoction to do so.. She uses a mop bucket by the way. So I've been trying my best to tell her this isn't good for our cats health, our dogs health, and even our health but she hasn't budged so far. Some progress I've made though is introducing a baking soda and vinegar spray to her which she turned out to really like. She said that gets the odor and stain out, but she's worried about disinfecting it and germs. Bleach concoction is still in use.
I found a non-chlorine bleach she might agree on that could be safer.
Zero Non-Chlorine Bleach - Ecover
I'm just not sure.. if anyone has any recommendations for things like this and if you know any cat safe/natural disinfectants please let me know!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gizmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Gizmom Gizmom , here's a discussion on it : -

Safest Cleaning Solutions?

Steam cleaning is also good. But have to to be careful when using bleach. Make sure it's diluted well and mop over with plain water for safety concerns.
Thanks, I'll check that thread out. And yes I'm not too keen on bleach but my mom insists on using it.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
also vinegar/water is another alternative but there's enzyme cleaners that take the pee smells out. One is called Nature's miracle. Baking soda neutralizes odors too. You can make a paste of soda/water to help pull out the smell-let it dry then vacuum up. Kind of a pain but works in a pinch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gizmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
also vinegar/water is another alternative but there's enzyme cleaners that take the pee smells out. One is called Nature's miracle. Baking soda neutralizes odors too. You can make a paste of soda/water to help pull out the smell-let it dry then vacuum up. Kind of a pain but works in a pinch.
My mom is using (or was using) the Nature's Miracle stain and odor remover. She either is still using it in the mop water or was using it on its own to clean up spots on the carpet and she might've replaced it with the vinegar/baking soda spray. I showed her the natures miracle disenfectant solution hoping we could use that as a safer option to bleach, but she thought it was too expensive. I've noticed a lot of their products have citrus in them as well. I believe citrus oil is toxic to cats but I'm not sure if citrus extract is. Thanks for the recommendations though!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
The citrus is a repellant-they don't like the smell of oranges-maybe the manufacturer thinks if we put orange smelly stuff on floor-they won't pee there. I don't know about it being toxic. Have an orange slice and have kitty sniff it=watch how fast they back up! They hate it!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you've seen them but they sell male dog belly bands for intact males. It keeps them from marking in the house. I used one on my pup when he was being housebroke.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The easiest and best way to potty train is to take them out every 2 hours (more often if they are puppies).
Regardless of whether they need to or not. Let them sniff, walk around and they will pee. Praise them when they do.
Never rub their nose in it or hit them. Dogs live in the moment and you need to catch it before it happens or as it's happening. Rubbing their nose in it or hitting them will only make them scared and aggressive.

Casey.daun4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought something called urine destroyer by natures miracle, at petsmart. It works & actually smells pretty good.