Cat-safe ant killer/repellent?

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly wasn't sure where to put this so putting it here for now. I'm trying to get rid of ants. They're the tiny little ants and we get them every year (just another reason for me to dislike the warmer weather). I'm absolutely paranoid of using anything around the kitties after what I've gone through with Sara and Lucky. Does anyone know of any cat-safe things out there?

As much as I hate the idea of killing ants for doing what they come by naturally, I hate even more having them on my counters.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i also really liked @happybird's reply, that she read to sprinkle instant grits around the ant hill entrance or where you see the ants the day before it rains, the worker ants bring it back to the queen, and when it rains the grits in her stomach will expand and kill her.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a product called Ecosmart. I think we get it at Home Depot. They have a website www.ecosmart.com

I also have issues with ants too. It does not help that one of my cats is a messy eater. I usually have to spray down the entire floor in my powder room to keep them away from the cat food. I move their food/water out of there until the floor dries. I just do this as an added precaution it is not mentioned in the product instructions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the little ants are indeed still visiting! They will probably be around till it gets cooler again, and I'd rather not wait that long. They are much more hardy than in past years. I have to squish and squish and they STILL don't die!

We were considering the little bait discs (think ant version of Combat). I'm not sure how they are around the kitties though. Back when I was a little kid, we had a roach problem that lasted for about 10 years, due to a tenant bringing them in (and they were only there a month). Tried EVERYTHING, and Combat was the only thing that worked. In reading about it with ants, it sounds like it's a problem if the kitties eat the ants. I can say for sure that Maple is too lazy to chase ants, and Oliver and (especially) Oscar are terrified of them. Pea-Pea likes to play with them, but they aren't so much in places she would play with them now (like my bathroom).

Was reading about that orange oil, in this spray on Amazon (Orange Guard was the name). Windex! That's definitely an idea. I've tried soapy water, since supposedly they don't like it. WAY too temporary though, and would have to constantly spray as it only seems to work while it's wet.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the little ants are indeed still visiting! They will probably be around till it gets cooler again, and I'd rather not wait that long. They are much more hardy than in past years. I have to squish and squish and they STILL don't die!

We were considering the little bait discs (think ant version of Combat). I'm not sure how they are around the kitties though. Back when I was a little kid, we had a roach problem that lasted for about 10 years, due to a tenant bringing them in (and they were only there a month). Tried EVERYTHING, and Combat was the only thing that worked. In reading about it with ants, it sounds like it's a problem if the kitties eat the ants. I can say for sure that Maple is too lazy to chase ants, and Oliver and (especially) Oscar are terrified of them. Pea-Pea likes to play with them, but they aren't so much in places she would play with them now (like my bathroom).

Was reading about that orange oil, in this spray on Amazon (Orange Guard was the name). Windex! That's definitely an idea. I've tried soapy water, since supposedly they don't like it. WAY too temporary though, and would have to constantly spray as it only seems to work while it's wet.
The Ecosmart product I mentioned above lasts for 3 months. 

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
The Ecosmart product I mentioned above lasts for 3 months. 
Have to look that one up too. Saw a review somewhere talking about the "Eco brand" having a horrible smell, not sure if it that is the same thing or not. I HATE these things so much.

Last edited:

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have to look that one up too. Saw a review somewhere talking about the "Eco brand" having a horrible smell, not sure if it that is the same thing or not. I HATE these things so much.
I have never noticed a nasty smell but I have sinus issues so me sense of smell stinks.  My hubby has never mentioned it though and his sense of smell is normal.  My cat sitter also uses this product.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have used cinnamon sticks laid out near windows and doors.  The cats don't bother them and they really keep those little buggers out.  The house we just moved into has ants and I couldn't find any sticks, so for temporary, I am using the Raid ant traps.  Working OK but I am still seeing the odd ant here and there.  If I don't find any sticks tomorrow, I am ordering them from Amazon.

I tried sprinkling cinnamon around and in cracks but it was messier, as the cinnamon would get damp and clump.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Went with ant discs for now. Relatively ineffective and my sister said they really helped her. Unfortunately, inexpensive wins right now after all the vet bills. Of course, this means I have to keep myself from killing all the ants I see, or it defeats the whole purpose of those things.

I think going forward, I'll be using that orange oil spray they have available. Will start spraying the stuff in March around the doors and any crevices. I don't know WHY these little ants bother me as much as they do... they just do. I think ants are just awesome when they are outside. I used to feed them when I was a kid! But no, I don't want them in my house.

I'll have to check out the cinnamon sticks and Ecosmart stuff too. At least have the latter on hand. The cinnamon sticks I can just lay around. Yes, this is an all-out assault I'm doing here, and hopefully prevention.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we had them too but find their entrance trail and use
safe natural diatemaeus earth. gone fer good!
They use it to filter aquarium wster so zero toxicity😁