Cat(s) Throwing Up Hills Diet & Royal Canin

mrslar25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our vet recommended we put our cat on Hills CD Urinary & Royal Canin SO Urinary because our male cat got blocked due to struvite crystals (he since has been unblocked, $2000 later).

This was right before Thanksgiving and we've been feeding these diets to the cats since then, but are now finding some quite large, some small, and some liquid puke spots around our apartment. A lot of the puke looks like mostly undigested yellow food (or yellow liquid).

We haven't heard and seen which cat or cats is doing it yet, but it's becoming quite concerning.

They said these "prescription" diets were safe for our household of 3 cats (1 female tabby who is 10 years old and two tuxedo males, both 5 years old, one of which was blocked by the crystals).

We've been feeding them the dry kibble with water poured on it for more liquids.. I realize the dry is not ideal, it's just what we've tried so far.

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our vet recommended we put our cat on Hills CD Urinary & Royal Canin SO Urinary because our male cat got blocked due to struvite crystals (he since has been unblocked, $2000 later).

This was right before Thanksgiving and we've been feeding these diets to the cats since then, but are now finding some quite large, some small, and some liquid puke spots around our apartment. A lot of the puke looks like mostly undigested yellow food (or yellow liquid).

We haven't heard and seen which cat or cats is doing it yet, but it's becoming quite concerning.

They said these "prescription" diets were safe for our household of 3 cats (1 female tabby who is 10 years old and two tuxedo males, both 5 years old, one of which was blocked by the crystals).

We've been feeding them the dry kibble with water poured on it for more liquids.. I realize the dry is not ideal, it's just what we've tried so far.

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions?
Hi
If you're feeding both diets then I would stop one and see if it helps. If it doesn't then I'd try the other one alone but feeding both diets at the same time a) isn't necessary and b) makes it impossible to tell which one may be the culprit. If none of that helps then I'd talk to your vet.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 Hi
If you're feeding both diets then I would stop one and see if it helps. If it doesn't then I'd try the other one alone but feeding both diets at the same time a) isn't necessary and b) makes it impossible to tell which one may be the culprit. If none of that helps then I'd talk to your vet.
Totally agree with what StephenQ says, however, if you are still having issues after this, then it could be one of your cats has an allergy to an ingredient in the food.  It would be helpful to try to figure out which cat is doing the vomiting, and hopefully it's NOT the one with the crystals

I have no idea what you were feeding before, but is there an ingredient in these foods that wasn't in the previous food?  (just thinking ahead) 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrslar25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Good thinking. Yeah, the vet didn't really give specifics on how to feed the foods, but just to try them. We have since switched to just the Royal Canin SO Urinary, and so far no one has been throwing up. Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrslar25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Totally agree with what StephenQ says, however, if you are still having issues after this, then it could be one of your cats has an allergy to an ingredient in the food.  It would be helpful to try to figure out which cat is doing the vomiting, and hopefully it's NOT the one with the crystals :cross: .

I have no idea what you were feeding before, but is there an ingredient in these foods that wasn't in the previous food?  (just thinking ahead) 
Thanks for the advice, we are watching them intently. So far, having switched to just the Royal Canin SO Urinary, no one is throwing up. Not sure if they have any allergies...I believe the Royal Canin is a little better quality food than we were feeding them before, but not by much.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the advice, we are watching them intently. So far, having switched to just the Royal Canin SO Urinary, no one is throwing up. Not sure if they have any allergies...I believe the Royal Canin is a little better quality food than we were feeding them before, but not by much.
Congrats you may have solved the problem!!!