Cat runs out of door since starting leash walking

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So recently, my parent's yard got fenced in for their dogs. One of my cats had been interested in going outside all her life, occasionally sneaking out but never running far. With the danger of the neighbors dogs getting her gone, i thought it may be possible to start letting her outside.

She goes out on a leash, and she usually does pretty well. However, she has started trying to run out the door when it opens. Before starting to take her outside, she never tried to bolt like this. The fence she could easily jump, and while im not sure she is actually trying to make it out of the yard, i dont want to take that risk.

She seems to really like being outside though, and i would hate to take that away from her. She is 12 years old and fixed.

Are there any solutions to this?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There might be some tips in this TCS article: How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door – TheCatSite Articles

As for her trying to run out the door since starting going out on the leash, that is a common occurrence. One suggestion that might work, though it may have needed to start at the beginning of leash training, is to only let her out (and in) the door, in your arms. Meaning, you put the harness and leash on her, lift her up and carry her out the door. Then do the same when it's time to come back in. Not sure it it will work now, that she's in the habit of rushing out the door herself, but it's worth a try. Good luck.