Cat running around and panting heavily?

Artchic528

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My short haired silver and white tabby cat Ollie is panting heavily. I can hear him across the room. His breathing is kind of rapid. He goes from one spot to the next, rolling around and grooming and can’t seem to settle down. He also plays in spurts with my dad’s dog. I live with my dad and he hasn’t turned on the air conditioner for our house yet this year and it’s already been nearly 90F today. Dad insists on having the windows open to circulate the air until he deems it fit to turn on the AC. We live in North Carolina so it’s also very humid. I’m worried for Ollie.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he is too hot.....Make SURE he has plenty of water to drink and get some fans. They don't have to be directly on him but circulating the air. Is there a basement, garage, or cooler room both of them can get to? The grooming may be an effort to cool himself down with saliva. you could take a DAMP cloth, not sopping wet, and wipe him down at times. The dog too. Is he still eating and drinking? A sick cat won't do either. 90-degree weather is dangerous for humans too for prolonged periods of time.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could try getting a solid plastic ice pack, freezing that, then wrapping it in a towel -- your cat might enjoy hanging out near it. I did this yesterday with a refrigerated can of sparkling water, but it wasn't very hot in the room (she just had been sleeping in the hot and sunny windowsill).

Ellis75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, he's way too hot. A panting cat is always a bad sign, and when it's caused by heat it can quickly turn into a cat with heat stroke. He really needs to be cooled down quickly. Please try to convince your dad to turn on the AC, or at least get some fans running. If you get him cooled down and he's still panting, or if he becomes unresponsive or isn't eating or drinking, he needs to get to a vet right away.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise