Cat Running Amok-Is he Trying To Tell Me Something?

straycat212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Every now & then Nic will start yowling and running around the apartment like a maniac for no apparent reason. He'll stop, look at some phantom thing up in space, and continue, this usually lasts 10-15 minutes then he chills out.   He's usually a quiet cat, but when he does this he is mighty loud!

If I'm sleeping it scares the heck out of me...Should I be concerned? The first time he did it I thought maybe he was hurt, but he seemed to be alright.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
This sounds like a vocal version of the "zoomies" or the "crazies."    Happy cats do this sometimes.  They suddenly start zooming around the house like crazy.  My old Milo used to do it every time after he used his litter box.  Mine have never yowled while doing it, however - I don't know how common that is.  Unfortunately it does often happen in the middle of the night.  Chula frequently has the zoomies around 2:00 am.   This probably reflects the fact that cats are nocturnal.  

Since Nic actually startles you awake, his version of the zoomies are a bit of a problem.  You might  try to tire him out before he goes to bed at night.  Try playing with him with something like Da Bird or a laser pointer where he can really get going.  Then give him a snack or light meal.  This sometimes helps cats sleep through the night 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo did the same thing when he was younger. He still romps around the house, especially when I'm doing housework, but it's not the zoomies like it used to be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

straycat212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this is "normal" cat behavior?, I was debatting on taking him to the vet regarding this.
Thanks for your replies[emoji]128522[/emoji]

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Totally normal
No trip to the vet needed at all. If it'll give you piece of mind, give the vet a call or send an email and describe the behavior to avoid an expensive bill from a regular appointment.

Some cats just have bursts of "zoomies" and streak around the house yowling at their top of their lungs. My Aby does this all the time.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it seems to be normal cat behavior, and I wouldn't spend any money on the vet about it. You didn't say how old he is, but he will probably slow down as he gets older. If you can get a leash and harness to take him for walks, it might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

straycat212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He'll be 2 in July, he just started doing this recently, so I didn't know what to make of it.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We call it "The Zips." :D

Cats and dogs both do it, each in their own distinctive way.

It can happen at almost any time the cat decides that he's full of it but I'll bet you a nickel it often happens right after the cat goes to the litter box.

When an animal in the wild leaves a "deposit" the scent can attract predators. That's why cats bury their poop. To hide it from other predators. They also have the instinct to get away from the area as fast as they can so that, if any other predator is attracted to the scent of fresh scat, they won't be around to get caught.

In an indoor, domestic cat, that instinct to run gets translated into a case of The Zips.

Whenever I hear Casper start to build a sand castle, I know with about a 75% chance, he'll get the Zips.

Last edited:

wafflesnomnom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was so concerned when my kitten did this too! He's a sweet cat, but when all of a sudden he would growl really loud and low and run around knocking things down. I thought something was stressing him out or something was hurting him, so I emailed my breeder, and she reassured me that this just means he's full of energy and wants to play! She said that if he had litter mates, this would be how he would announce to them that he wants to play. Now whenever he starts to growl, I get up and play with him, make him run and jump for a bit and he calms right down - obviously you can't do that when you're sleeping, but something to do if he does it during the day! 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So this is "normal" cat behavior?, I was debatting on taking him to the vet regarding this.
Thanks for your replies[emoji]128522[/emoji]
Definitely normal. There is no harm taking him to the vet though (well, except for your wallet), but it's better to take him to the vet for a perfectly normal reason than to not do it when he really needs it.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Katy does the same thing, in the morning. Just think of it as like a small child who is happy and excited. I know Katy is healthy, so it has to be that she is trying to run off some steam. She will tear through the house like a mad man and will actually ALMOST run be over is I happen to be in her path.

cyndilaupurrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cyndi does this often, she has a stuffed mouse that she plays with and will bat and throw it all around the house at break neck speed.