Cat Room: Got Suggestions?

Kawenu

Another Midwesterner
Kitten
Purraise
We're getting our own place, and are doing some work on it. This includes making the spare room into a cat focused room! Shelves and cat trees are in my plans, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas or tips they could share, since it'll be my first time building cat furniture.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
it'll be my first time building cat furniture
Great idea building your own furniture. I've found that the store bought cat trees, particularly the ones with cardboard tubes covered in sisal as "legs", collapse in no time.

If you can make your own out of wooden fencing posts and plywood it will last a lot longer. Cat will still scratch the wooden posts as they would anything sisal covered, but it will take longer to get through it.

Making your own play houses out of cardboard boxes is fun, very cheap and it's easy to recycle the cardboard after the cats have destroyed the house. I made this one as a "Halloween House" for the last kittens I fostered.

NewKittens83.jpg

Another useful thing to get is those rubber jigsaw mats, they sell them in packs of three at most dollar stores. They are warm to lie on, great to scratch, washable, can be cut to size and are light enough to attach to a wall. Cheap enough to replace once they're all scratched up to.

upload_2019-4-21_13-2-29.jpeg

My cats love their cat highway. Make the most of vertical space in the room so your cats can move around a lot. You can get proper cat shelving, or just regular wooden shelving that can support up to 10 kilos so even when your cats jump the shelves will stay up. Make sure the shelves are wide enough and nail down some carpet tiles to give them extra grip.

I saw a video somewhere when someone had turned an old wooden ladder into a way for her cats to get up onto their highway. Something like that would be really pretty if you painted it to match the room.

:happycat:

Show us some pictures of your cat room when it's finished.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have any tips or suggestions, but can't wait to hear how it all turns out. And, hopefully, see pictures. :catman: :camera:

:goodluck: