Cat ripped out a stitch!

ginanicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat Phoebe had surgery on Tuesday and came home that day. She's been wearing the Elizabethian (sp?) Collar ever since and I don't take it off unless she is eating. Well today I fed her, and let her have some time to eat. I was right in the next room. Then I look and don't see her by her food, but licking at her wound. So I darted and and told her NO!. Then I put the collar right back on. I lifted her and on her stomach I can see she ripped the entire stitch out. She has maybe 5 or 6 total. She is scheduled to get them out Tuesday. Is this okay? I give her a prescribed antibiotic twice daily. Nothing looks infected. I always worry about these types of things.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is not bleeding, and it doesn't look angry, I don't think I'd be too concerned, just make sure she can't get the rest out.
She may have a slightly larger scar because of it, but if they are coming out in 3 days anyway they should be mostly healed.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should be okay as Arlyn mentioned.
Betsy or Scampi took out Spritzers stitches, they all wore e-collars and I guess they couldn't reach their own wounds so helped each other out lol
Anyway, that was after 8 days and she was fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ginanicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, well I hope she'll be fine. She still has some red bruising on her stomach. And she's not very active today. But I think it's because she hates the collar. The reason for the surgery in the first place was because she swallowed a dime. Most expensive dime ever, the surgery costed a little over $700. My poor Phoebs!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your vet might be able to answer, but when I had my cat have surgery, she took the stitches out herself, and my vet acted like they expected her to do that anyway...

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Bella did exactly the same thing, only she managed to remove a stitch before we had even left the surgery!

The vet put a staple in just in case (and because the wound was still fresh). Bella didn't suffer any after ill effects although she did develop a saroma on account of being so active and refusing to rest during her recovery period

emma79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I first got Corty, I got her from an animal shelter at 8 weeks old. She weighed 500grams. It's part of the policy of animal shelters here that all animals have to be desexed before they can be rehomed. So, she was done as a tiny little kitten.

She was so small that none of the elizabethan colars fit her, she could pull her head out of them all.

She ended up pulling her stiches out 3 times in the first 48 hours of me having her home. I kept taking her back to have it redone, in the end one of the vet nurses thought of making a colar to fit her out of an old xray film. It ended up doing the job and she couldn't get to her stiches, but looked so funny. This tiny little torti kitten with a big black bucket around her head and a bright green ear, coz they had used too much dye when they did her tat!

All her fur grew back fine, so I haven't noticed if she has a large scar or not.....

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Emma79

When I first got Corty, I got her from an animal shelter at 8 weeks old. She weighed 500grams. It's part of the policy of animal shelters here that all animals have to be desexed before they can be rehomed. So, she was done as a tiny little kitten.

She was so small that none of the elizabethan colars fit her, she could pull her head out of them all.

She ended up pulling her stiches out 3 times in the first 48 hours of me having her home. I kept taking her back to have it redone, in the end one of the vet nurses thought of making a colar to fit her out of an old xray film. It ended up doing the job and she couldn't get to her stiches, but looked so funny. This tiny little torti kitten with a big black bucket around her head and a bright green ear, coz they had used too much dye when they did her tat!

All her fur grew back fine, so I haven't noticed if she has a large scar or not.....
That's cute! I do remember someone here (maybe Beckiboo?) put a tube sock around her cat when she got spayed. (cut out the toe and somehow put the sock on the cat!) It worked quite well, and she had kittens and they could still be around, but not hurt her.

angelgirl3028

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello My 7 year old cat got fixed on thursday and i found her this morning taking her stitches out. The wound is open but there is no bleeding or discharge, I am not sure how I can close the wound. Any ideas?? My vet is closed and cant afford the afterhour vet. Please help!!!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd watch her closely until morning and get her in then, wouldn't be using any glue.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the wound is open I would take her in as soon as you can. Meanwhile a pair of tights can act as an emergency bandage, depending in how big she is. Cut the leg at the knee and the top of the thigh, and pull it on her, adjusting to fit. If you can make her am ecollar out of plastic or cardboard, that would be good too.