Cat Retreating

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am having trouble with my six year old male neutered cat. He sleeps in the extra room that has many boxes in it. He doesn't come out to eat for days.
He wants outside. Wants to be a feral. I won't let him.
Should I just let him go?
Make him a happy cat... out there?
Am I killing him with my selfishness in wanting him here?
What do I do to change his mind to stay with me?
Come out, join and be with the clowder.
>^..^

buckwheat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My. Question how do you know he wants to ferel, or is it that he just wants to go outside? What is his environment like inside your home. A private room with boxes does sound entertaining to me. js :( why does he only have one room? My kitten of 8mos. Has so many toys, and has has his paw prints all over the whole house, lol. Maybe you could get a harness, and take him on walks during daytime hrs. Or walking with harness in your back yard. I really don't think he wants to be (homeless) ferel. Go on utube and see how ferel cats live, and think you'll understand then he wants to be social. Gudluck:)

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long have you had him? Did you do slow introductions to the other cats including scent swapping? I agree that he probably doesn't want to be a feral cat. He may want outside in which case you can try to do more to make indoors more interesting to him. Does he have both high places and caves he can retreat to? Does he have window perches? Does he get play time?

I hope he is eating more frequently than every several days. What do you do when he doesn't come out to eat? If this is new behavior I would strongly suggest a vet visit to ensure there isn't a medical cause for his behavior.

djoe

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Meuzette, are there any other cats or any animals close to that room? Or maybe he is bothered by something/someone in the house?

my cat had this behaviour for a while...when it got frequent I let her go out for a break while watching over her (never alone...she once got out on her own and came back with a scratch on her face).
So, she would go out to lay on the grass and chew some of it off!
I made sure she always had access to green leaves vegetables when we get them home.
She likes to rub against corn leaves and ladies fingers (okra)... and chews on spinach and other dark green leaves, and bites off flower leaves...
I also noticed that whenever there is a scent of another animal she also wants to get out...

Did you try putting the food in his favourite room? Or taking him out for a walk?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat, Mittens, I had since he was a kitten. I have two of his brothers. That is all I could catch.
He is six now.
He did go outside as a treat. But recently I have been keeping the ones who wanted out, in.
He is the only one retreating.
His room is not the only room in our house, this is what he has claimed as his own. It has two litterboxes in it as well, A good room really.
Maybe it is from my adopting a kitten last year as well. But Cowboy stopped his kitten jumping a while ago.
Mittens knows he can be his own cat if he likes He knows I love him. I hug him and hold him. He rather sleep by day and roam at night.
Play doesn't help. He enjoys it. But still sleep in his room at the same time everyday.