Cat Resistant Carpet??

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So when I moved into my house the basement floor was covered with what can only be called a cat’s dream: beige carpet with a loose pile that pulls like a thread on a sweater when they scratch it. 7 years later it now looks like s**t where the darlings have pulled up large strips of it. I do trim their claws regularly but it only slows them down a bit. They have several scratching posts but the carpet is irresistible to them. I’m thinking of re-covering the floor with something more cat friendly. Does anyone have any suggestions for a type or carpet that is resistant to cats? Or would I be better off with something besides carpet? I do like the idea of carpet in the basement to keep the floor from getting too cold.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
An area rug with a short weave is usually best to prevent snagging. I use the types of rugs with the plastic bottoms meant for by your door. They have some nice ones now. They tend not to get as worn and the plastic/rubber on the bottom stops sliding and helps keep out cold.

Carpeting is great for older cats as well to prevent slips and falls and provide more traction to jump, play etc.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 3 rugs/carpets throughout the apartment (1 Ikea, 2 Amazon) -- only one is high pile (and extremely cute), and my cat destroyed a few choice parts of it beyond repair within a month. I have come to accept the fact that it basically exists to be destroyed since she scratches on it a bit after she uses the litter box. The two low pile rugs are older and have held up extremely well, with no visible deterioration, even though she runs around, plays, and scratches on both of them. One idea instead of recarpeting the entire floor could be to get a couple of larger rugs for easier management, cleaning, replacement, etc. (For reference, I think the Ikea rug we have which is pretty solid is LANGSTED Rug, low pile, yellow, 4 ' 4"x6 ' 5" - IKEA)

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Overstock has a large selection of low pile area rugs, some quite big. We had a basement in our old house and I bought the cheapest low pile rugs I could get for that purpose. Look during the holidays - they have very good sales them. I don't think they will have any good sales again until maybe Memorial Day though.