cat rescue turns into possible pregnant cat rescue

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is such a touching story. You tried really hard to find kittens for her, and maybe now that this happened it is sort of consolation in that you know that it would not have worked....so you are not picturing homeless kittens who could have nursed from her. I am going to agree with you that her age/inexperience/age of kittens might have played into this. You were very kind to have given them some supplies. They must be hugely dedicated people to have tried so hard, on their end, to find help for those kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cosmotortelloni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is such a touching story. You tried really hard to find kittens for her, and maybe now that this happened it is sort of consolation in that you know that it would not have worked....so you are not picturing homeless kittens who could have nursed from her. I am going to agree with you that her age/inexperience/age of kittens might have played into this. You were very kind to have given them some supplies. They must be hugely dedicated people to have tried so hard, on their end, to find help for those kittens.
Your words mean a lot! Thank you. My heart was overjoyed that they were willing, and God bless them for their efforts. They are feeding the kittens night and day. They agreed that a mama cat would be much better than bottle fed. Wonderful, kind souls. Cat lovers unite! <3

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think had the kittens been younger she may have been more interested. Also, the kittens did not smell familiar. However, bless those ladies for driving and trying, and you were wonderful to donate formula and kitten food to them.

It’s okay if you have to wait on the spay appointment a couple of weeks. It will help for her milk to dry up.

You’ve had the patience of a saint, and I truly admire all your efforts on behalf of this kitty. Do keep us posted! We are rooting for a happy ending here!

cosmotortelloni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think had the kittens been younger she may have been more interested. Also, the kittens did not smell familiar. However, bless those ladies for driving and trying, and you were wonderful to donate formula and kitten food to them.

It’s okay if you have to wait on the spay appointment a couple of weeks. It will help for her milk to dry up.

You’ve had the patience of a saint, and I truly admire all your efforts on behalf of this kitty. Do keep us posted! We are rooting for a happy ending here!
Thank you! <3 Man! I really want to try with newborn kittens. One of the vet offices I called yesterday told me that so many newborn litters get euthanized because there are just overwhelmed with kittens this time of year. UGH. I wish the little ones today were newborns. Toriel was taken aback and a bit overwhelmed at how much noise they were making. They were seriously nonstop squawking at her as they came straight for her. She was not prepared for it. The female was pretty quiet, whereas the males were nonstop. And they say women have the gift of gab ;)

Do you think it's too early to be spayed next Monday? It would be 9 days from her delivery and no suckling/stimulation to help produce more milk. I called yesterday but very late in the day, and they call back by the end of the week if there's room for next Monday. I guess they'll let me know, too...

Here's Miss Toriel watching Cat TV soothing videos and music for kitties last night with me before I went to bed. :) <3

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If they have an available spay appointment you should take it. It’s not too soon. Once spayed and healed she should become a happy member of the household with a little time. I’m sure she’ll appreciate no longer living in a cage.

cosmotortelloni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If they have an available spay appointment you should take it. It’s not too soon. Once spayed and healed she should become a happy member of the household with a little time. I’m sure she’ll appreciate no longer living in a cage.
For sure! I pray she will be able to acclimate to us and her aggression will be long gone.

cosmotortelloni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Help! Toriel has her spay surgery on Tuesday, August 23, but we think she's in heat. She started acting weird yesterday. Can she be spayed safely while in heat?

cosmotortelloni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She can be, but some vets will charge a little extra because veins are engorged and they must be extra careful. Some vets prefer to spay after the heat cycle ends. You should call and inquire.
TYSM!

Nothing is easy with this girl :( Cosmo doesn't know what to think of her flirting with him. She went from terrorizing him to now wanting him - he's been neutered since like 8 wks, so while she's rolling and twerking her butt, he has the funniest look on his face, then he swipes playfully at her tail that is off to the side and swishing. I hate that she's in heat, but it is nice that she's being so nice and welcoming to Cosmo.

cosmotortelloni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Toriel is officially spayed! They told me she did amazing! Thank God! I was so nervous yesterday dropping her off. I cried in the parking lot because she's been through so much in her short life. They estimated her around 10 months. She's a solid 9.9 lbs. She seems to be doing great! She immediately got out of her carrier and into her condo cage. We did take the levels/perches off so she isn't tempted to jump. First thing she did was go to her food bowl! Yay! She looks so different with all that long fur gone on her underbelly.

They sent her home today with two pain pills. They told me she needs the first one at 1pm today. I ran back to my vet this morning after picking her up and bought a pill gun. I pray I will be successful with getting it in her. If not, her vet gave me a bottle of liquid Gabapentin stating it's great for pain relief as well. However, it's cherry flavored! I have to be successful in getting one of these into her around 1pm. Without knowing if she will show her aggressive nature again, I'm so nervous. I bought her a onesie hoping they would put it on her while she was doped up but they said they don't do that. They recommend the cone so I can monitor her surgical area. Dang! I don't want to use that cone. It seems cruel and is obviously traumatizing.

Lastly, my son rescued a little kitten from Detroit. Oh my gosh, he was in a bad way. So filthy, fleas, and starving. He's doing so well now. All 1.02 lbs of him. The vet was glad he rescued him from the impossible unhealthy conditions he was living in. Because he's so teeny tiny, no flea med at all. He wasn't infested, but we did pull off about 10 fleas. My son ended up putting the flea treatment on his resident cat and she unfortunately, had a horrible reaction to it that put her in the hospital on an IV drip for 10 hours!!! :( She had tremors, drooling, wobbly, and looked incredibly pitiful. I took the day off work to help him with her. She's home now and will not take the muscle relaxer pills the vet hospital sent her home with. She coughs it up no matter what he tried to get it into her.

Anyhow, that's our cat-laden week so far! I want to quit my real job and just take care of all the kitties. lol

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Toriel is officially spayed! They told me she did amazing! Thank God! I was so nervous yesterday dropping her off. I cried in the parking lot because she's been through so much in her short life. They estimated her around 10 months. She's a solid 9.9 lbs. She seems to be doing great! She immediately got out of her carrier and into her condo cage. We did take the levels/perches off so she isn't tempted to jump. First thing she did was go to her food bowl! Yay! She looks so different with all that long fur gone on her underbelly.

They sent her home today with two pain pills. They told me she needs the first one at 1pm today. I ran back to my vet this morning after picking her up and bought a pill gun. I pray I will be successful with getting it in her. If not, her vet gave me a bottle of liquid Gabapentin stating it's great for pain relief as well. However, it's cherry flavored! I have to be successful in getting one of these into her around 1pm. Without knowing if she will show her aggressive nature again, I'm so nervous. I bought her a onesie hoping they would put it on her while she was doped up but they said they don't do that. They recommend the cone so I can monitor her surgical area. Dang! I don't want to use that cone. It seems cruel and is obviously traumatizing.

Lastly, my son rescued a little kitten from Detroit. Oh my gosh, he was in a bad way. So filthy, fleas, and starving. He's doing so well now. All 1.02 lbs of him. The vet was glad he rescued him from the impossible unhealthy conditions he was living in. Because he's so teeny tiny, no flea med at all. He wasn't infested, but we did pull off about 10 fleas. My son ended up putting the flea treatment on his resident cat and she unfortunately, had a horrible reaction to it that put her in the hospital on an IV drip for 10 hours!!! :( She had tremors, drooling, wobbly, and looked incredibly pitiful. I took the day off work to help him with her. She's home now and will not take the muscle relaxer pills the vet hospital sent her home with. She coughs it up no matter what he tried to get it into her.

Anyhow, that's our cat-laden week so far! I want to quit my real job and just take care of all the kitties. lol
You can observe her to see if the cone is really necessary, I've never had to use it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that if you can observe her enough to make sure that she does not bother the incision, the cone might be optional. If you can get a onesie on her, that would be fine; it may be that the policy of the hospital is to provide the cone. Rikki was given the liquid cherry flavored gabapentin when he was neutered and I managed to dribble it in the side of his mouth.

The little boy from Detroit is another lucky cat to have come across your family.

It will be interesting to see how your little girl turns out now that everything is behind her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’ve never used a cone or a onesie. All my cats have done just fine!

Hopefully you can get medicine in her. She really needs it for pain relief.

cosmotortelloni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am too afraid to shoot a pill down her throat, so I tried one of those liquid treats that she loves so much to mix it with that. I don’t think she got much but she did get a little of the dose. Gotta love yawn pics LOL.

Attachments

cosmotortelloni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My son’s newest baby. Meet Obi (yes, my son has a Star Wars nerd LOL).

isn’t he the sweetest! My son works from home and has him in his office. We gave him back his big dog crate since we bought Touriel the big cat condo. However, while he’s working,Obi loves to explore safely in his office and naps on his lap and tries to nuzzle his neck with this uncontrollable kitten claws haha

Attachments

cosmotortelloni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone! I just wanted to give.an update and ask your advice again. :

Tori is doing SO much better - with us. We have her on Gabapentin and the vet RX Prozac 10mg which I haven’t filled. Today is the first day I decided no Gabapentin to test the waters so to speak. She’s doing great with us. Her and Cosmo are another matter.

He is the most timid, anxious cat I’ve ever had, but totally loving to us. Terrified of her and they’ve had a few skirmishes
. We let her out of the cage - but at night she’s back in there as we need some peace and sleep While she’s out, he will hide. Literally, the whole day l! No eating, no litter box nothing. - but hiding 🥺.

Today is the first day she has been out all day. It worked out because my daughter had a day off. It’s way too hard for me to concentrate to hear them go at it. I have my office door closed becauseI talk to clients a d members often. Cosmo finally came out from under the bed and went on top of our bed. She and her zoomies running thru the house saw him jumped on the bed, I heard howling and Cosmo is somewhere hiding.

The vet believes Prozac may help stop her bullying or full on running at him terrifying him. She said it takes 4- 6 weeks to kick in. It’s only $10 for 3 months worth at Walmart when I called. But, what about Cosmo? Do they have courage pills? LOL. Seriously tho....

They both love the squeeze treats and I’ve fed them together with it He will lick and hiss at her Whew. That boy.
Any advice is greatly appreciated! New pics how well she’s acclimated to us Praying for my boy to come around. My husband said he will never change. 🙏🏻

Pics of her “working” with my daughter. And sleeping on her bed so peacefully

Attachments

Last edited: