cat rescue turns into possible pregnant cat rescue

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cosmotortelloni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, most cat moms who have just delivered are very maternal and in a high hormonal state and ready to mother. I’ve only heard success stories, but don’t delay if you decide to do it.
Okay! It's Saturday and after 5pm. I'm googling to find a shelter that's open. So far, none are. I'll keep trying. How long before her milk would dry up?

cosmotortelloni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I reached out on Facebook to a Bottle Babies Rescue near me that I found from googling. They said, they do not advocate for that due to the possibility of disease. They said just to get her spayed asap.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
While I understand their perspective and preferences, it’s very picky considering how many orphaned kittens there are in the world.

Since you’ve experienced no major health issues with the stray you took in, I would encourage you to contact local shelters on Monday. Shelters are generally full this time of year and desperately seeking fosters. If there are no orphans available,
or they turn you down, then go ahead and book a spay soon.

My guess on the stillborn is that it was in the birth canal too long and suffocated. You’ve not mentioned any other issues with mom.

I wouldn’t go into a big history when speaking with shelters. I would just say you have a domestic cat who just delivered a stillborn and is available to foster if there is a need. When they hear she’s a feral stray they are immediately put off by concerns about behavior and disease. This is justified, but most likely not an issue in your case.

cosmotortelloni cosmotortelloni

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, post on the Next Door app in your area that you have a queen who just lost her litter and is available to foster babies. If you can get babies to your cat in the next 2-4 days her colostrum and milk will come in and be good.

If it doesn’t work out, you certainly tried. You can even reach out a county over, if need be. There are SO many orphaned kittens this time of year.

ETA: Where are you located? City and state? I’ll help you look.

Last edited:

cosmotortelloni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, post on the Next Door app in your area that you have a queen who just lost her litter and is available to foster babies. If you can get babies to your cat in the next 2-4 days her colostrum and milk will come in and be good.

If it doesn’t work out, you certainly tried. You can even reach out a county over, if need be. There are SO many orphaned kittens this time of year.

ETA: Where are you located? City and state? I’ll help you look.

I work M-F 8am-5pm. I'm about 15 miles south of Detroit, MI. I will call around while on my lunch break.

My husband is leaning towards just calling Paws Clinic Monday so they can spay her. We've already spoken with them a couple weeks ago and they said to give her two weeks from weaning so her milk is dried up.

Also, I think you're right about the kitten being suffocated. That breaks my heart. It has beautiful striped fur and spots on its belly.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I completely understand. I work also. If nothing pops up in response to your calls, get her spayed in a couple weeks. Once she recovers and adapts to life outside her cage (which you can sell), she will hopefully become an incredibly sweet house mama cat. You’ve been incredibly patient with her and I commend you for whatever decision you make.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess on the diseases would be if she was FeLv or FIV positive they wouldn’t want to transmit that.
You did an awesome job with her!

cosmotortelloni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My guess on the diseases would be if she was FeLv or FIV positive they wouldn’t want to transmit that.
You did an awesome job with her!
Right! Part of me wants to call the first vet we took her to as they supposedly screened her for those and she was negative....

cosmotortelloni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FB messaged some local shelters. My husband is leaving out of town this morning and won't be back for a few days. He said it's up to me, as it's not ideal for a whole litter of kittens and worrying about her nursing, taking care of them while I work. So, I'm hoping for a singleton or maybe just two that were abandoned. Hoping to hear back from them tomorrow morning. I'll bring my personal laptop to my office and have FB open while working. It's easier this way during my work hours. I'll try to call at lunch time, too. If no kitties are available, I will contact Paws Clinic to schedule her spay when they say it's safe to bring her in to do so.

cosmotortelloni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Striking out everywhere. Just got another decline:
"Hello, we don't encourage putting kittens and a mom that are not related together. You don't know why the baby passed away. And for orphan kittens you wouldn't know their medical history"

I contacted several shelters/rescues, and some 24 hr vet hospitals, and all dead ends so far. A couple feel like they are scolding me. Sheesh. I mean, they have a point as to her only kitten died, but as SArthur stated and I am believing the poor kitten was suffocated in the birth canal. :frown:

I'm going to call Paws Clinic tomorrow and my husband wants me to call the last vet we took her to as they were great with her, checked her out thoroughly, we gave them all her medical records and x-ray copies from the first 2 vets, and they gave her a clean bill of health. They were also right about only one kitten and that she would most likely go into labor in a week, and she did in 8 days. I love that the main vet there is a cat lady as well, and has several rescues of her own.

Poor girl will be going for a spay when they say it's safe. I just want this done and over with. I feel bad putting her through more vet trauma and major pain tho. She's been through so much since we had her and only God knows what the previous owner did to her before dumping her for dead.

cosmotortelloni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So bummed! I finally found a shelter that was willing to allow Tori a chance to nurse. It's 40 miles north of me, but they were actually excited to try it. Not sure if it's just that Tori has only had this one litter with one still born kitten, but she wasn't interested in them. They drove all the way to my house with 3 kitten. Two of them were 3 weeks old and the other was 4 weeks old. OMGOSH They were so adorable. We rubbed Tori's fave blanket all over them and then set one and then another in her cage. She was scared of them! They were mewing so much and LOL the look on her face. They were coming right at her like feed us, mama! She hissed, and kept backing up until she went into her cardboard box bed. She wasn't interested. Maybe because she's young and inexperienced or they were not newborn? IDK. We tried.

I felt bad that they drove all the way here and we couldn't help them. I ended up giving them a can of powdered Pet AG KMR and two large bags of kitten food. They were wonderful women, gracious, and kind. So sad that someone dumped the 4week old one in a grocery store bag in Meijer parking lot. She was in there with her siblings that are all thankfully, going to be adopted, but this tortoiseshell was left. Also, two male black beauties that reminded me of my beloved Paws we were able to rescue and enjoy / love for 17 years before he passed away. They said most people don't want black cats or black dogs. So sad! My long-haired black beauty was the sweetest, affectionate boy.

I called the spay clinic and had to leave a message. They are a low cost one, so they may not be able to fit her in next week as they are always slammed, but I hope so. I don't want her going into heat. I know that has got to be so stressful for her.

I must say tho, I was SO glad to see that even when these ladies put the kittens in there, Toriel hissed, but did sniff them and they touched noses and my heart was going to burst. <3 I was so thankful she didn't swipe at them. I prayed silently while this was going on that she wouldn't harm them, and she didn't.

I sure hope this is a good sign that maybe her hormones are not as whacked out, and maybe, just maybe, I can have my dream fulfilled that my Cosmo and my Toriel will be buddies one day.