Cat repeatedly sticks tongue out after drinking

bertandernie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, 

Not sure whether to file this under health or behavior, but here goes. My cat occasionally starts repeatedly sticking her tongue out after she has been drinking water. Almost like she still thinks she's lapping up her drink, but her head is well removed from the bowl. I caught it on video the other day - hoping it works here. It kinda seems like she's in a trance and doesn't even know she's doing it. Very strange! It's not every time she drinks water, just occasionally, and she actually did it way more when she was a kitten. Any body ever seen anything like this?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Wow.  That is really strange.  I have never seen or heard of anything like that.  Reading your post, I assumed she just did it for a few seconds after drinking, which is perfectly normal.  This is something else again entirely.  To my eye, it looks like an involuntary motion.  Next time she goes to the vet, take the video with you and have them look at it. This is probably nothing, but best to be sure. In the meantime, maybe someone else will come along who has seen this behavior and who can cast some light on it.

Please let us know if you do end up asking the vet. I would be very curious to know what he or she says.

Thomvs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has done this since he was a kitten and is now 8 years old. I've never thought to ask the vet, but he was recently given a clean bill of health. If anyone has an answer to this, I would love to hear it

catmamacass

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Not sure whether to file this under health or behavior, but here goes. My cat occasionally starts repeatedly sticking her tongue out after she has been drinking water. Almost like she still thinks she's lapping up her drink, but her head is well removed from the bowl. I caught it on video the other day - hoping it works here. It kinda seems like she's in a trance and doesn't even know she's doing it. Very strange! It's not every time she drinks water, just occasionally, and she actually did it way more when she was a kitten. Any body ever seen anything like this?

I have a foster kitten (about 9 months old) that is doing the exact same thing. Did you ever get any info on this?