Cat remembers the gabapentin from the last vet trip and won't eat the pill pockets now. Any other suggestions for his vet appt next week?

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat does not care for treats at all. She used to when she was younger, but will not touch them now. Thankfully, she absolutely loves hairball gel. When I have to give a pill I just put a nice big glob of it on my finger and push the pill in there. She eats it all.

jack_and-jules

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The most recent strategy that worked for me was to mix the gabapentin powder into churu paste and then "frost" Jack's dry food with it. (Her food pieces are on the large size so it's not quite as tedious as it sounds.)

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That was our Nilla - she didn't like anything other than her Crunchies. Any possibility of a mobile vet coming to see your boy instead of the circus act to take him to the vet? I can't imagine trying to get a kitty his size to cooperate. Nilla (9 lb at her heaaviest) took 2 vet techs and the vet even with the gaba. She didn't dry to kill anyone, she just wanted to get away from them.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Will your cat do delectables? I have had luck of breaking the pills up and mixing it in that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

parkersdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will your cat do delectables? I have had luck of breaking the pills up and mixing it in that.
So that was the next thing I was gonna try. I was gonna get some today and see if he likes it. He's food motivated but very picky.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went through hell trying to get my cat to take pills. I eventually just had to finally pill him by hand, which took practice before succeeding.

I did the wrapping in a towel first. Pinned him between myself and the arm of a couch (so he can't back away or squirm). Grab him over the top of his head, with thumb and middle fingers on the corners of his mouth, and force his head to point upwards.

With the other hand (while palming the pill) force open his jaw, drop in the pill really fast, then use both hands to keep his jaw closed and blow on his nose. He then swallows it. And I ALWAYS praised him and fed him right after.

That became easier over time. I don't need the towel anymore, nor need to pin him on the couch I can do it while he's just sitting on my lap now.

Edit: I can't stress enough how this took practice. But it was worth it. He spit out a lot of pills at first until I figured out the right technique. He also would sulk and hate me for a while after, but then would love me again eventually.

Now, he still resists, but is more tolerant of it as he knows it will be over fast, and it is the precursor to a meal.

Last edited: