Cat Reintroduction

SirenSong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted a little while ago asking for advice about whether or not I should choose to separate my two cats (who had a rocky relationship) after a recent breakup, leaving one with my ex and taking one. After hearing what you had to say, I decided to take them both and give them another chance with a proper reintroduction and see how they did on neutral territory. It's been a week and so far, I am cautiously optimistic.

I've been keeping them separate almost 100% of the time but I have been switching their "territories" daily so they become accustomed to each other's scents and so they become accustomed to sharing territory. I have a HUGE master bedroom so I have a full cat set up in there and a full cat set up in the rest of the house. I rotate who stays with me in the bedroom every night. I have also been placing their food bowls on opposite sides of the same door, so they have been eating near each other through the door for the better part of a week.

Over the last 3-4 days, I have also been allowing them to look at each other for a few minutes at a time (I just open the door a little while they are both standing near it so they can see each other). I always stand between them and have been stopping them from approaching each other so far but they are usually close enough that I can pet them both, so I always pet them and tell them they're being good kitties so they learn to associate each other with getting love and attention.

As of yet, there have been no signs of aggression. No hissing, no deadly staring, no lunging or swiping. I have seen them sniff each other under the doorway. When I open the door for them to look at each other, I can see they are both curious and a little unsure. Their little noses start working but neither has made an aggressive move. I am looking for a screen door that I can use to prop up in the doorway so we can move to the next step where they will be able to see and smell each other, but won't be able to get at each other.

I'm going to continue my game of musical cat territories but both cats seem relaxed and happy. They're eating well and using the litter boxes normally. They both always want to snuggle as soon as I'm home, so it's been hard to stick to my guns and not rush things. It's hard to stay strong when one is crying for company but I know the consequences of skipping steps and I would really prefer to not have to keep them separated permanently.

Just thought I'd update ... if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions, I'd love for you to share!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SirenSong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Terrific news! Can't wait to hear more positive news when you get that screen door/gate in place!!!!

Edit: Did someone already share these articles with you?

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
Hi there! Yes, I've seen those and I've read through a few times. I think I'm holding to these recommendations pretty well and I'm going to start Churu time at the door. They both go nuts for Churu! It's about the only thing they ever agree on ... Churu time is no fight time ...

SirenSong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a jailbreak yesterday!! Belle scooted out of the bedroom before I could stop her while Journey was lounging in the living room. After an initial "oh crap!!" feeling, I took a breath and walked over calmly. Journey had a very "wtf" look on her face and got a bit tense but I gave her lots of love and affection to distract her. I was able to get them both to relax and I used the opportunity to offer them both their favourite treat (Churu) and get them both nice and calm before I removed Journey from the situation. It was time to swap the territories anyways.

So! All said and done, Journey teetered on the edge of wanting to chase Belle, but I was able to distract her and keep the situation low key and positive for both cats. There was no hissing and just a bit of staring but easily redirected. Phew!!

These cats will really keep you on your toes ...

Here are some pictures of the little rascals ...

Belle
Belle.jpg

Journey
Journey.jpg

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like it's going good just take it slow. It's definitely good news they didn't fight when in the same room they are both lovely cat's by the way.

SirenSong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes ... slow and steady for Journey, definitely. The face to face encounter was unintentional, but at least I was able to spin it into a positive encounter. I will be more careful about how I open the door going forward. Belle is always trying to bolt past ... lol

SirenSong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Belle and Journey are just gorgeous.
Thank you! I think so too. And really, aside from not liking each other, they are both purrrfect! Everything you could ever want in a cat. More like dogs, really ... They both love to be my shadows. They come when I call. As soon as I sit down, they're right there for snuggles and head boops. Just the cutest little beasts. :)

SirenSong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little victories and little strides ... slow and steady ... they are making progress. I now let them out for 15-30 minutes at a time together (sometimes longer if they are tolerating it well), ONLY when I am 100% able to actively monitor them. Over the weekend, it was several times a day. The second I notice Journey (because it's ALWAYS princess Journey) getting too focused or tail swishing a lot, I distract them until they're both back in a positive headspace, then I remove one or the other from the situation to give them a break. They have been doing well, passing each other in the hallway and this morning, Belle hopped up on my bed with Journey. They sniffed each other a lot. Once, Belle got a little too much into Journey's face (not aggressive ... just sniffed too long). Journey jumped back a little, but there was no hissing. No batting each other. I made sure to tell them what good girls they were being and gave them lots of pets and praise and love.

This is probably the most face to face time they have EVER gotten without incident. Belle is looking way more happy and confident and has finally started playing again. She had stopped because any time she moved faster than a walk, Journey would chase her. More and more, Journey is choosing to avoid rather than pursue. I feed them their soft food together every evening now. I'm still looking for a screen to go in my doorway but things are going well. I'm super happy I chose to give them another chance. I finally have some hope that this will work out.

SirenSong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Evidence ...

They are always willing to put their differences aside when food or treats are involved ...

1571253859158.png