Cat Reintroduction Woes

LooseSeal88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My wife and I have two cats. We had trouble getting them introduced when we first brought the second cat home at our previous home which was a single-bedroom apartment. 5+ months of never getting them to tolerate each other. We then moved to a two bedroom, two story townhouse and the cats immediately got along now that there was less of a perceived resource/territory conflict. We have been here for 6+ months in bliss until about two weeks ago when a fight broke out while we were at work or possibly at the movies after work (as we didn't stop home between the two events). They no longer trust each other.

Cat A is very nervous when Cat B is around and will hiss if Cat B gets too close. Cat B will get very big pupils and chase Cat A if Cat A is caught anywhere other than our bedroom. If Cat A hisses, Cat B get a poofy erect tail in addition to the chasing and pupil dialation.

We think the issue started because Cat B would fall asleep downstairs and wake up to discover we were asleep upstairs with Cat A (in some instances with the bedroom door shut). We didn't always shut the door but they sometimes get noisy at night so we would shut it occasionally. We started hearing her sad meows from downstairs a week or two before the incident although we didn't always have the door shut so it was never clear why she felt this abandoned or if we interpreted her meows correctly. We would go down and check on her and she would act fine but not even follow us upstairs. (Part of the meowing may have been a catnip toy she found).

Anyways, since we never had any luck with the original introduction at the other apartment and since the fighting seems like it could have been the result of attachment to the humans and our inability to show them love at all times of the day, the traditional "reintroduction" seems like it won't and isn't working. We feed them on both sides of the door. Nobody attacks each other during the food time when the door is open and we shut the door and continue this process. We occasionally let the bedroom cat out some to mingle and shut one away again when we see a fight will soon break out. We site swap and scent swap. No progress and it feels like separating the cats makes them feel neglected by us. They are lonely in the bedroom alone during the day or lonely if they have to sleep out of the bedroom. I am losing my mind. I just...don't know if I can do this whole cat separation routine again. It's not good for my own mental health to have to spend every waking moment of my time at home worried about which cat is where and who needs attention and switched to what room when with what treat as a reward for what behavior. Feliway doesn't seem to work. Just...what do we do?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
You could try this;

You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.

This trick works when introducing cats into the household, and also when one of them has been to the vet and therefore smells different to the others who didn't go.

In addition, try classical harp music, it's been shown to help cats to relax.

Some other calming products might be an option;
Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Sentry calming collar, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Something else you could maybe try, especially since they got along fine when you first brought them to your new home, is to take both of them out in the car for a drive, to a friend's place, maybe even the vet. Then possibly they'll be ok when they get back home, after bonding during their excursion.

Good luck. Hope things are back to their normal soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LooseSeal88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
You could try this;

You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.

This trick works when introducing cats into the household, and also when one of them has been to the vet and therefore smells different to the others who didn't go.

In addition, try classical harp music, it's been shown to help cats to relax.

Some other calming products might be an option;
Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Sentry calming collar, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat
Thank you! Do you think imitation vanilla extract would work as an equivalent? We happen to have some of that at home already.