Cat Regurgitating

DianeI

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi...I am looking for suggestions as to what to do next for my cat. He is 13 years old. For nearly a week now he has been gaging and regurgitating when eating just a little bit of wet food. He has been to the vet and given a laxatone. Vet seemed to think it was hairball related. He has been given the laxatone for 3 days with no improvement. I feel my little Buddy is starving because he just can't keep anything down especially dry food. I have given him about 5 pieces of dry food and he immediately regurgitates it. I feed him a teaspoon of wet food about every 2 hours. With some massaging of his chest and neck I have gotten him to keep food down but I can't be with him all day to go through this ritual with him. I don't know how to help him....

londonthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this, I can try giving suggestions to what you may be able to do
It is very odd that the laxatone hasn't worked. We can most likely rule out hairballs at this point. Although I'm no expert, I was thinking he may have eaten something that he isn't supposed to, and it is blocking his stomach or GI tract. Again, I'm no expert, but if you consult your vet again I'm sure he will provide some other treatment. Perhaps going to another vet is an option as well, to get a second opinion.

Wishing the fastest recovery to your little buddy!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! All cats regurgitate at some point (and I assume that you do mean the type of projectile vomiting where the food comes back up in an undigested tubular form), but your cat is doing this much too frequently to let it ride. Your vet did suggest the most common remedy and in many cases Laxatone does help, but in your case it is not. Stop with the dry food completely as that will only make any digestion or swallowing issue worse. A teaspoon of food every two hours for the last week is not nearly enough nutrition and the cat runs the risk of other conditions. If the massaging of the neck and chest help, there may be an obstruction or pain of some sort. Call the vet back and let them know that nothing is better and that the Laxatone did not work.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm thinking some sort of obstruction may be the issue too, or possibly Mega-E, although that's quite rare in cats. Definitely let your Vet know the Laxatone isn't working but the massaging IS (a little bit) That might be very useful info for them in diagnosing the problem.